Hendrix live at Monterey 1967

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
At long last, I finally got the Hendrix at Monterey disc. Like most of the Reprise issues, it was taken out of print by the Hendrix family when they got control of the music rights. When I first sought it out recently, I could only find it on Amazon for something like a minimum of $40. I almost bought it, and boy am I glad I waited. The album was re-released in mid October, and when I heard that I was off to the local shop, and had it in my hands, brand new, for $13.

Anyway, this album is fantastic. I have heard bits and pieces of it in different places over the years, and years ago there was actually a film version on Cinemax, but it was great to hear it in it's complete form.

Highlights for me were Killing Floor, Like a Rolling Stone, Wild Thing, and Can You See Me, though there is not a bad trac on it.

It always seems, to me anyway, that Hendrix at Woodstock is seen as the definitive live Hendrix, but I think this far and away is a better performance. Hendrix was still not very well known at this point, and my how these people must have been floored by this performance.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Re: Hendrix at Monterey

It's a legendary performance. How does it compare to Woodstock? I don't know. It's certainly a lot more passionate. At Woodstock he was a little older, a little more polished and profesional, but still an unbelievably exciting and creative musical giant by any standard.

I've pretty much decided there's no such thing as a lame Hendrix performance. There's different moods in his live work, but it's all incredible stuff. And of course, the Monterey performance was a revelation to anyone who was encountering him for the first time there. He was unveiling a new world of musical possibilities...no, a new universe would be more appropriate.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score

This has always been a favorite. I was running the McGovern campaign on my campus during the '72 election. Someone from the campaign sent me about 50 cut-out copies of this album to hand out to campaign workers. I got rid of most of them but still had a small stash that I gave away to friends during the 70s. I've only got one copy left.

Ironically -- though it's incredible -- the Hendrix side was never my favorite. To me, the Otis Redding side of the disc is one of the greatest live performances ever recorded. And he died soon after.

I bought the DVD box set of the entire Monterrey festival a few years back, primarily for the Redding and Hendrix performances.

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

No......Mitch mitchell played drums, but he had Billy Cox on bass, Larry Lee on rythym guitar, and two percussionists. I believe this was the first non-Experience gig. Monterey was Jimi, Mitchell, and Noel Redding on bass.

I was thinking the exact same thing Rev, there really is no bad Hendrix performance. I don't think Woodstock is a bad performance, but there were a combination of factors that made it lesser than some others. One of my personal favorite liove performances, if you can find it, is Live at Winterland. Lot of solid jams on that one.

Reverend Rock

Reaction score

You know, it's the live performances that make me wonder if we really know the truth about Hendrix's death. Let's face it, he simply was not performing like a man who was destroying himself in those last months. The more I'm aware of how vital his last year of work was, the more I'm baffled by how he died...or at least how he reportedly died.

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

It certainly is an interesting point of discussion.

My understanding of Hendrix's death has been that it was more of an unfortunate accident as opposed to a body just giving out from relentless abuse. And your right, his performances would not indicate that substances were getting the best of him, and I don't believe he had a reputation for being unable to for performing because of indulginces. Monterey is a good example. Jimi was said to be stoned to the gills on acid, but look at how focused and intense a performance it was.

The thing with Hendrix was at the time of Woodstock, he was at a crossroads. He was already tired of playing "Purple Haze" show after show, and wanted to grow his music into new directions. Just look at the changes and growth in the complexity of the music between Are you Experienced and Axis. There were a lot of people (record company and concert promoters) who didn't want him to venture there.

I can't even begin to imagine where the music would have gone had he lived.

Reverend Rock

Reaction score

From Axis to Ladyland was also a quantum leap. And the First Rays sessions (as well as other studio tapes that have been released) show that he was far from washed up, was exploring all sorts of new directions that would have doubtless helped shape the music of the 70s had he lived. In fact, the music he made in those last months ended up having a lasting influence in spite of his death.

Truly, I think the biggest "what if" of the entire rock era is "What if Hendrix had lived???"

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

Oh yes, certainly a big leap from Axis to Ladyland. I guess my point on that, ( and I was a bit lazy to fully elaborate) was that he grew exponentially on each album. I think he was truly a musician, and much like the Beatles, always trying someting new.No doubt he was enjoying the perks of rock stardom, but I think also ultimately unhappy unless he was making something new, untried, unheard.

eccentric man

Reaction score

there's also the technological factor that has to be acknowledged in the advances between hendrix's albums also. electric ladyland was a state of the art studio built specifically for jimi. as opposed to axis being recorded on the best 4-track setup of the day.

as for the death thing i think GJ's assessment of it being an unfortunate accident is probably the likeliest. he wasn't crispy fried beyond repair but at the same time he wasn't known to turn down much of anything. the wrong combination of pills and booze will kill anyone. besides, drugs affect everyone differently. the few times i tried acid i found myself to be quite focused on whatever i occupied myself with. on the other hand i had friends who would hallucinate after a few puffs of weed. the only time i ever got the stereotypical 'everything looks like cartoons' acid trip was about 4 seconds worth during a crazy mushroom trip while laughing with my friend about jethro tull's thick as a brick album packaging (the whole 'newspaper' deal)

i know the general popular opinion is that hendrix would have ended working with miles davis had he lived but i'm thinking the mothership would have had a slightly altered command structure if you catch my drift hahahaha

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online