Heart - a hair band?

Was Heart fundamentally a hair band?

• Total voters

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
Did any one here tease their hair during the 80's? Did you highlite your hair..Did you hemp your hair... did you perm your hair.. Did you grow it long? Well.. You lived the rock star life of the 80's..
If you didn't.. You were not in your 20's.

Yeah I was, I was just bald.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I'd say Heart had a real classy look during this period...very victorian take on the whole image.

Heart-Heart-1985-Front-Cover-34104.jpg

Now a female band that fits the "hair metal" genre? Or a bit more inside the ball park??

Vixen1.JPG

How about their music though? Does that fit?

:huh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You tell us, Foxhound, you're the leading expert these days.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
You tell us, Foxhound, you're the leading expert these days.

Don't know. That's why I asked.

What made me wonder, however, is that Lord Grendel's high praise for Heart had made me consider the band. Then pictures such as the first one here reminded me of this second one:

61YV3V%2BmrqL.jpg

7aa4228348a0ef50576e7110.L.jpg

Then I remembered that Runtfan had once posted that Heart started out as a Led Zeppelin cover band - and so many of the hair bands of the eighties have always struck me as Zep imitators without the requisite grounding in the blues. And Heart's music seems to fit that mold. I don't detect blues influence in Heart's music but I could see their tunes popping up in the power ballad thread.

So what's your thinking?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
What made me wonder, however, is that Lord Grendel's high praise for Heart had made me consider the band. Then pictures such as the first one here reminded me of this second one:

61YV3V%2BmrqL.jpg

I don't see a connection. Sorry. JMO.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't know. That's why I asked.

61YV3V%2BmrqL.jpg

Then I remembered that Runtfan had once posted that Heart started out as a Led Zeppelin cover band - and so many of the hair bands of the eighties have always struck me as Zep imitators without the requisite grounding in the blues. And Heart's music seems to fit that mold. I don't detect blues influence in Heart's music but I could see their tunes popping up in the power ballad thread.

So what's your thinking?

I am not sure I am following you, Foxhound. If the music doesn't have a blues influence then they are classified as a hair band? Not all bands of the 80's took on the glam look and not all of them had blues influences either. A good example would be Bruce Springsteen. Springsteen even made a few awesome ballads, check out "Steets of Philadelphia" :grinthumb

The second picture you posted is definitely glam. Poison were guys with the androgynous look, which was very typical of glam. In the Heart picture, the guys just have longer well styled hair, which also was a very 80's look. I dont see the androgyny in Heart's male members.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Members online