Heart - a hair band?

Was Heart fundamentally a hair band?

• Total voters

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Was Heart fundamentally a hair band? In fact, could Heart have actually set the template for all subsequent hair bands? I mean look at all that pouffy hair:

7cf6e03ae7a09c5a943b2210.L.jpg

:huh:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Heart started out as a rock band.

Their big success came first as a rock band.

Sure later on, they had the hair band look and maybe the sound a little, but that only lasted a few years. After 1985' mega hit album '' Heart'' which is a great album, I got off the Heart train - they went waaaay too commercial for me.

1976 - 1983 they were a rock band, and most die-hards remember them as a rock band.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Mmm....Heart was nothing like a hair band when they started. However in the 80's they certainly could have been classified as one by a good number of people though I personally wouldn't. There are just too many differences between heart and bands that I consider the template for hair bands.

Also (just to throw it out there) I don't like 80's heart.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Heart started out as a rock band.

Their big success came first as a rock band.

Sure later on, they had the hair band look and maybe the sound a little, but that only lasted a few years.

1976 - 1983 they were a rock band, and most die-hards remember them as a rock band.

So then are you arguing that hair bands such as Poison, Cinderella, Guns 'n Roses and Bon Jovi were not rock bands?

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
So then are you arguing that hair bands such as Poison, Cinderella, Guns 'n Roses and Bon Jovi were not rock bands?

Sure they were ''rock''....but, not just straight ahead rock....they were part of a different era...I guess the media and critics labeled them pop glam hair metal or whatever...I dunno....I wasn't a big hair metal guy...but didn't hate hair bands.

Personally, I don't think Guns 'n Roses was a total hair band....they were too good for that label....
:heheh:

I personally, looked at them more as a hard rock band...

the last of the great hard rock bands...

BUT....that's just me.

Last edited:

runtfan

Reaction score
I would say that in the latter half of the 80's and into the early 90's Heart was a hair band. They made a deal with the devil between Passionworks ( 1983) and their self-titled '85 album. The deal paid off handsomely for Heart but they bore very little resemblance during that time to the band they started out being. It was a pretty much total identity makeover. The "Heart", "Bad Animals", and " Brigade" albums were generic power ballads and arena rock. Ann and Nancy Wilson had very little to do with writing the material ( and it showed). In the last 15 or so years Ann and Nancy have worked hard towards reclaiming the name and musical credibility. A classic example of a double edged sword. If they hadn't gone along with the record company wishes ( to dress up, tease up the hair, and record assembly line commercial pap) they would probably have been finished.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Members online