HEADBANGERS HELL : My Favorites of 2015

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
5761445.jpg

Chelsea-Wolfe-628x356.png

OK, back on topic;
Heres one of my favorite newer non metal discoveries. Chelsea Wolfe started out as kind of a low fi indie gothic folky. She intrigued me a little with The Grime & The Glow when my GF played it. I particularly liked Cousins Of The Anti-Christ but thought she had a lot of room to grow. Grow she has ...in fact her very next albumἈποκάλυψις really hooked me ...she has a love of Black Metal and it shows coming across in the erie , bleak, darkness of her compositions. Abyss is my favorite Wolfe release so far and it borders on Doomy Industrial Metal its so gloomy.Doomy Industrial Folk ?? Whatever ...it's awesome. I am definitely a fan after the last 3 .... Abyss leads the pack.

My Rating : 8/10 when compared to my metal favorites. But as non metal goes this Is a 9/10 in my book.

Last edited:

Vader

Reaction score
5779894.jpg

I've been looking forward to picking this one up for quite awhile. Satan is an amazing Speed Metal band that first raised its head in the early 80s as part of the NWOBHM movement . While never gaining the notoriety of some of their brethen ie Iron Maiden, Saxon, Venom, Blitzkrieg etc.they are never the less worthy to stand side by side with the big boys of the era. They play a very catchy melodic and highly well crafted version of Speed Metal and their musicianship is quite impressive. I, generally speaking , am usually into more gruff forms of metal ( vocally ) but these guys are just undeniably awesome. Truely killer and addictive !!! And while melodic these guys never sound de-balled like some of the smoother vocal bands. Satan are Metal to the bone. Atom to Atom is worthy of its place next to Court In The Act & Life Sentence.

My Rating: 9/10

Vader

Reaction score
5827704.jpg

GHOST - MELOIRA
More melodic Heavy Metal hymns to the Dark Lord . The Satanic Pope Papa leds his band of Ghouls through more slightly campy devil worshiping pomp. I don't mean that in any bad way. This Is fun , slightly cheery in a strange way, yet darkly laced odes to the old school when the devil wasn't taken as seriously as some bands do in this day and age. I really like all three of Ghosts full releases. The latest is kind of mix a between the first and second . Mixing the heavier elements of the debut with the lighter edge of the sophomore effort to good effect. This band came out of the shoot being compared to BOC & Mercyful Fate and while I don't think they sound like either really they do have a bit of both in their vibe. Great band.

My Rating : 8/10

Last edited:

Vader

Reaction score
5603691.jpg

Gruesome ~ Savage Land

WARNING : VIDEO IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.

This Is a kick ass debut album from the newly formed GRUESOME. What It is is killer old school 80s era Death Metal. It has some very strong and obvious influences. The one that most people seem to be picking up on is the early DEATH sound of Leprosy & Spiritual Healing. It has another influential voice shining through as well that not many others seems to picking up on and that influence is the mighty AUTOPSY .Sure this isn't the most original album to hit the market this year but it makes up for that by being just pure unadulterated AWESOME. Well written , well played and bloody well well producted. This is a stand out for 2015 IMO.

My Rating: 8.5/10

Last edited:

Vader

Reaction score
5855343.jpg

DISENCHANTER ~ STRANGE CREATIONS

This Is a really cool three man ..or two man and one woman actually ..power trio. Old school Traditional Doom Metal mets Heavy Metal. The female singer/ guitarist Sabine Strangenberg sings and plays with power and passion while backing vocalist Joey DeMartini holds down the bottom end with force and finesse. Drummer Jay Erbe is a thundering rhythm machine. Really cool stuff and people.
Very crunchy riffing here with soaring vocals. Stand outs for me are the songs 792, Sorceries & Snakes of the Earth.

Vader

Reaction score
5814364.jpg

Lemmy's epitaph Bad Magic is a fitting bookend for the passionate fire and grimy motor oil, Chuck Berry meets Speed Metal, rock & roll discography of the legendary MOTORHEAD. The intensity and musicianship never fail and while Lemmy's vocals do display a bit of damage here and there it isn't enough to cause even a slight distration from the wicked malay that the trio unlease. If anything it just makes this disk a bit more enduring. Even the mightly Lemmy is human after all. All in all a great ending to a legendary carrer. Stand outs for me: Victory or Die,The Devil, Fire Storm Hotel, Evil Eye & Choking On Your Screams. An awesome release and one I have already gotten hours of enjoyment from .

My Rating: 8/10

R.I.P. Lemmy

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
5827704.jpg

GHOST - MELOIRA
More melodic Heavy Metal hymns to the Dark Lord . The Satanic Pope Papa leds his band of Ghouls through more slightly campy devil worshiping pomp. I don't mean that in any bad way. This Is fun , slightly cheery in a strange way, yet darkly laced odes to the old school when the devil wasn't taken as seriously as some bands do in this day and age. I really like all three of Ghosts full releases. The latest is kind of mix a between the first and second . Mixing the heavier elements of the debut with the lighter edge of the sophomore effort to good effect. This band came out of the shoot being compared to BOC & Mercyful Fate and while I don't think they sound like either really they do have a bit of both in their vibe. Great band.

I like this group. I like the mellowed, melodic side Ghost possesses. 8/10 is a good rating :grinthumb

Vader

Reaction score
I like this group. I like the mellowed, melodic side Ghost possesses. 8/10 is a good rating :grinthumb

Yeah, Ghost is pretty awesome. I have first two on CD . Will be buying the new one evently. Maybe on Vinyl. Haven't looked into the price yet.

Autopsy is probably not going to be to your liking ... understatement ...lol .. listen to the youtube video if you think might. Pretty sure you won't. :D

Vader

Reaction score
After a respectful morning period to honor Lemmy I now continue my work in progress...

SATAN'S HOST ~ PRE - DATING GOD PT. 1

5513510.jpg

Satan's Host are a kind of cross between Extreme Metal and American Power Metal.
Harry "Tyrant" Conklin ( ex - Jag Panzer ) fronts the band with style. Once again bringing his powerful vocal range and distinctive singing abilities to the forefront of this blackened power hybrid. Unique and high quality is how I would describe Satan's Hosts artistic take on Metal. Dark, melodic and memorable, 2015s offering utilizes less of the blackened vocal approach then past efforts without losing the erie, rough vibe. Satan's Host once again delivers the goods. Pt.1 while very similar to Pt.2 is my favorite of the two.

My Rating : 8.2/10

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online