Hawkwind (Official Thread)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Re: Hawkwind

Hawkwind-The-Xenon-Codex-507032.jpg

The next official US release that I own is a CD called THE XENON CODEX . It could use bit more bass in the mix for sure and a bit better production which is a bit disappointing , but I still really enjoy it. Putting my woofers on high and a bit more volume remedy that to great extent for me . Having said that it has some very good songs on here and I do slap it into my system from time to time . They have moved away from the straight ahead spacerockers of old and into more of a spacey progressive mode and they also have a few trippy atmospheric songs on here .THE WAR I SURVIVED, WASTELANDS OF SLEEP , SWORD OF THE EAST and the trippy, Floydish, HEADS are my favorites here .TBH there isn't anything I don't like on this disk , I would definitely call this an 80's era favorite of mine.
Unfortunately there are not many songs off this one at youtube to post and none of the rockers were available .

a live version of HEADS

mystic fred

Reaction score

As a Hawkfan from the very early years of the band i would highly recommend finding the original albums on vinyl, as much of the magic of Barney Bubbles' artwork has been lost on cd packets.

In_Search_of_Space_-_Hawkwind.jpg

If anyone has not heard their new album "Blood of the Earth" i can highly recommend it, much of the music harks back to their early style with plenty of new ideas mixed in, traditional fans should be very pleased with this release!

hawkwind.jpg

Over the years i have been very pleased with most of their albums, including the enigmatic 1997 "Distant Horizons", but "Alien 4" was completely lost on me, not even the same band imho.

Distant_Horizons_-_Hawkwind.jpg

Their mid 90's "ambient" albums "Electric Tepee" and "It is the Business of the Future.." are among my top favourite albums from the band, and a peak which they have yet to reach again, they really nailed it for me with these I hope they will explore this territory again.

lptepee.jpg _Business_of_the_Future_to_Be_Dangerous_-_Hawkwind.jpg

Last edited:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

fit-480x960.jpg

OK , next on the list is Space Bandits .This is the release that got me interested in later era Hawkwind . I saw this Cd used in local vinyl shop , one of the few places still catering to underground music in my area at the time . I was taken by the cover artwork and decided to give it a chance regardless of all the bad reviews that I had read about the newer ( at the time ) Hawkwind.

The first thing that jumps out at you as a Hawkwind fan is that Bridgett Wishart has taken the front of the group at this point .At first a bit disappointed by this turn of events, after another listen she had definitely grown on me, and I was ready to give this Cd an open minded listening to . Huw Lloyd-Langton's lead licks have been replaced by Simon House and his violin
but Dave Brock ( of course ) and Alan Davey still remain and so the core of modern day Hawkwind ( IMO ) remains intact .
Having said all that I really enjoy this Cd but I am able to give albums a stands alone listening to and not keep comparing newer material to the old stuff . I either like it or I don't but it is based on the effort alone, not their previous work.
Really good album IMO

Some of my favs off of Space Bandits

MP edit" Video removed from youtube

Last edited:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Some Quality examples of the later gear DKWolf, the wish list just keeps growing. Gonna make an inroad on these very soon.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

My fondness of HAWKWIND goes back to my schooldays....those classic early albums.. were forever being played....but I went off them probably around "astounding sounds..." "Hawklords " period.
I liked them again in the 80s "Angel of death"classic track....even saw them "live" in the 90s....but are a band a lot of my friends are into..more than me
Its scary to find that Im only left with a couple of vids and ...NO vinyl of theirs the shame of it all :peek
Whats also worth mentioning is the spin off bands HAWKWIND have had . Alan Daveys BEDOUIN were pretty nifty.....he is one demon of a bass player!! Now its Alan Daveys GUNSLINGER
Nik Turners SPACE RITUAL...... His present band are named NIK TURNERS SPHYNX who play some cool stuff..very space/ambient contain at present bassman Nick Hopkinson[ massive HAWKWIND fan] and backing singer Hannah Wyld......who happen to be also in my band THE REALM !!!! shock :wtf:

Live footage.....bad camerawork...you can just make out my friends hat lol

MP edit: Video removed from youtube

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

ELECTRIC TEPEE

7158.jpg

This is an album that has two distinct sounds going on .Hawkwinds ambient new age soundscapes of the later era ( which I am not a huge fan of but can handle in small doses ) and their more traditional spacerockers .However the guitar is all but absent here as a lead instrument and even as part of the rhythm section it is for the most part dominated by the synths and keyboards department.
That isn't to say this is a bad album by any means. It is IMO a bit long in the tooth on the ambient soundscapes however and I could have done without at least three of them to make it a tighter more enjoyable listen ( for me anyway).
There are some very good songs on here however even if the soundscapes outnumber the actual songs .My only other complaint would be that the bass is again a bit weak, through no fault of Alan Davey's as he is a great bassist in his own right ,but due to the production and mix .Once again I remedy that though the power of modern technology by turning up my woofers .
In the long run an enjoyable outing especially if I skip some of the new age material .

Some my favorites off of Electric Tepee :

The Mask of Morning and The Right To Decide are two more of the better tracks on this CD .

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Every so often I put an Hawkwind album on and then I end up playing their gear for days .. it always happens.

Settling in for an Hawkfest ..:cheers2

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

:bow: Oh Sox!!.....What a classic tune
Heres some more older HAWKWIND tracks.....brings back a few memories

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member