Hawkwind (Official Thread)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I don't know where you got that quote from but I have the book White Line Fever, Lemmy's Bio. In that he says Nik Turner was a terrible sax player and that they would turn him down on stage due to that fact . He also said that he would come in at the wrong times over vocals and everyone else' spots. In fact that is what the fighting was about that led to his ( Turners ) departure.

E-Z

Reaction score
An interesting point: Lemmy, in a TV interview, said he though Nik Turner was the best musician in the band.
There you are DaKillerWolf thats the quote that made me smile. :D

A rock fan friend of mine told me that he had seen Nik Turner playing live in London in recent years and he thought that he still couldn't play that saxophone of his!. :oyea:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
There you are DaKillerWolf thats the quote that made me smile. :D

A rock fan friend of mine told me that he had saw Nik Turner playing live in London in recent years and he thought that he still couldn't play that saxophone of his!. :oyea:

Well, if he did say that ....he went completely against his very pointed semi-rant in his book were in he makes no bones about his disapproval of Nik Turners musicianship.
Talking about his Hawkwind days in "White Line Fever" he makes it pretty plain where he stood on the Nik Turner issue. Seems pretty weird he would say the complete opposite on Television.

E-Z

Reaction score
Agreed DaKillerWolf thats wot caught my eye with that quote of Lemmy's. :wtf:

Lemmy also had 'issues' with the "drum empire" as well as Lemmy put it. :D

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Yeah, it might have been his way of insulting them ( saying Nik Turner was their best player ) because for years he was pretty sore about being kicked out of Hawkwind due to his Canadian border drug bust :heheh:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I have not read the book so I cannot comment on that. The television programme was about the reformation of Hawkwind for some live shows in response to the demand from fans. Lemmy took part, but was unhappy about some of the bizarre decisions, such as having Sam Fox on vocals. It is hard to remember now, but another decision may have been to exclude Nik Turner, prompting Lemmy's comment.

When speaking about the early Hawkwind, Lemmy appeared to be under no illusions about the musicianship and gave the real names of the various devices credited to members of the band (I cannot recall these without looking at my copy of Space Ritual). Nik Turner never claimed to be a good technical musician, but certainly added to Hawkwind's space-y feel. He has worked with exemplary musicians like Steve Hillage, so I cannot imagine him to be completely inept.

In truth, I don't know if Nik Turner is a good technical sax player or not, I just know what I like. My point was that Lemmy praised Nik Turner, but neglected his own contribution to Hawkwind. They were never as good without him. I saw Motorhead live soon after Lemmy left Hawkwind and was disappointed because he was, in my view, the best musician (along with the Bob Calvert). Motorhead were terrible in the early days and I have never been able to get into them since.

One of the few tracks that I like by Motorhead is Hellraiser, the only track on March or Die produced by Billy Sherwood. Their version of The Train Kept A-Rollin' is pretty good and is one of the heavier versions, besides the Yardbirds.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I would like to watch that interview as I would be quite interested in hearing exactly what Lemmy did say. You seem to be indicating that he was unhappy with someone standing in on vocals. Personally, though I do really like early Hawkwind ( great musicians or not ) I much prefer Dave Brock, Robert Calvert, Alan Davey, Ron Tree , Lemmy etc as a vocalist over Turner. I have a few DVDs of their live performances and it is easy to see what Lemmy was referring to, when he talked about Nik Turners playing, on the Live at Stonehenge DVD. He constantly comes in at the wrong time and over people trying to sing etc.

As far as Motorhead is concerned I agree in small degrees. Their early B-sides are the worst things they have recorded but I was never impressed with Train Kept a Rollin' in the least bit. IMO, one of their worst moments ( though not THAT bad in comparison to some bands ) along with a lot of their other early covers. Motorhead have gone on to record a lot of awesome albums ( I even like On Parole and Motorhead ) but their brand of dirty speed-metal-like rock and roll is not for everyone. But then I'd have it no other way.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I cannot remember the title of the programme or when Hawkwind had the reunion. It may have been the 30th anniversary Hawkestra shows at Brixton Academy in 2000. There was a lot of hype beforehand, but it was acrimonious when it took place. The programme would've been a year or so after and could be out there on YouTube. I'll have a dig about.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
There may be a programme called Rock and Roll Stories made by BBC4. I am not sure if that is the one.

I think it was Do Not Panic made by BBC 4. This is a link to some info I found and it mentions Lemmy's comment about Sam Fox:

http://www.starfarer.net/hwonbbc4.html

It's dates the broadcast to 2007 which seems quite late, but . . .

I think I've found it, but I haven't watched this to check yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRw_rvrXQiQ

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Personally i've always liked the 'early' MOTORHEAD line-up with Lemmy, Larry Wallis & Lucus Fox and there first recordings and wot became the ON PAROLE album (drums re-recorded by 'Filthy' Animal Taylor except on the track Lost Johnny).

Favourite tracks from ON PAROLE probably City kids, Vibrator, Lost Johnny & Motorhead.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online