Hawkwind (Official Thread)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
The stuff I was referring to isn't on On Parole or Motorhead ( both are almost the same w/ a couple different songs ) but cover songs like Louie Louie, Train Kept a Rollin( which does appear ), stuff they did with Girls School ect. Alot of it may not be their earliest stuff after all. I have a comp with rare tracks that are demos and B-sides, unreleased stuff too maybe ( too lazy to dig it out at the moment to verify exactly ) and when I say "it's their worst stuff " it's still pretty good to me but it is pretty primitive and I like the original material ALOT better.

I have no doubt that Lemmy complained about a stand in guy coming in as singer but I would like to actually hear him say " Nik Turner was Hawkwind's best musician " because that will blow my mind after reading "White Line Fever" :heheh:

E-Z

Reaction score
Sorry guy's to side track from HAWKWIND onto MOTORHEAD but DaKillerWolf are you referring to the album featuring Lemmy, 'Fast' Eddy Clark & 'Filthy' animal Taylor which was material recorded 'before' the OVERKILL album and was put out by Ted Carrol on the Chiswick lable? (in the U.K.).

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Sorry guy's to side track from HAWKWIND onto MOTORHEAD but DaKillerWolf are you referring to the album featuring Lemmy, 'Fast' Eddy Clark & 'Filthy' animal Taylor which was material recorded 'before' the OVERKILL album and was put out by Ted Carrol on the Chiswick lable? (in the U.K.).

I'm talking about the 1977 release called Motörhead

1 Motorhead 3:13
2 Vibrator 3:39
3 Lost Johnny 4:15
4 Iron Horse / Born to Lose 5:21
5 White Line Fever 2:38
6 Keep Us on the Road 5:57
7 The Watcher 4:30
8 The Train Kept A-Rollin' 3:19

I have no idea who released it in England but it was issued here for the first time in 1990 on Road Runner ( though it says it was originally released in 77)

The comp I'm talking about is something different but I just got home it's very early here and if I go in my room to dig it out and wake my GF ...you get the pic

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah DaKillerWolf thats the same album i was referring to, a later release also includes 4 bonus tracks from the same recording sessions. The album was originally released on Chiswick records in the U.K. and was put out by a fella called Ted Carrol.

This fella Ted Carrol was also involved in early Thin Lizzy, theres a song Phil Lynott wrote called Frankie Carrol which i think was partly about Ted. Ted Carrol also had some early involment with Lemmy & Motorhead before they broke into the BIG TIME after the OVERKILL album was released.

I read in the book 'White line fever' that Lemmy didn't mind Ted Carrol putting this material out because Ted had helped them out at the beginning with MOTORHEAD.

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah i've read it, theres a fella i know who reckons that the book White line fever is the 'greatest rock book' he's ever read!. Maybe a slightly 'over the top' statement but it's an o.k. read all the same.

* * * Second thoughts DaKillerWolf i think i read Lemmy's comments about Ted Carrol putting out that material in the liner notes of the cd re-issue with the 4 bonus tracks. * * *

MottTheWot

Reaction score
The genius behind the whole Space Rock concept was Robert Calvert who took them away from the hippy trippy psychedelic angle that was the first album and sent them flying off into space with In Search Of Space and the Space Log magazine featured with the album. This culminated with the follow up album Do Re Mi and the incredible Space Ritual tour of 1972/73. Spacehip Hawkwind had taken off with Lemmy on bass the driving force musically, along with Dave Brock on guitar and Simon King's relentless drumming the famous Hawkwind chuggalong sound was created giving life to Calvert's vision of a Space Rock Opera and then there was Stacia! Lemmy was a little undisciplined and got the boot in 1975, (big mistake) Calvert returned to the fold in 1976 after a two year absence and once again steered the goodship Hawkwind in the right direction, as many 70's bands found it difficult to compete with the punk/new wave movement sweeping both sides of the Atlantic Calvert maintained the Sci Fi imagery and musically updated the Hawkwind sound appealing to the newer audiences with Astounding Sounds, Quark Strangeness and Charm, PXR5 and the wonderful Hawklords album. His on stage persona had to be seen to be believed! Calvert's Captain Lockheed & The Starfighters album is a Hawkwind album all but in name only and features the driving bass of Lemmy throughout. It is the greatest concept album ever. Brock continues to tour Hawkwind and is the one stable band member, but he owes the late Robert Calvert a debt of gratitude, i think he knows it too, they still play his songs in the Hawkwind set today.
th_robertcalvert485690_3866876433324_955800906_n.jpg

Last edited:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I don't think I have heard the Hawklords album, are you saying it is worth getting if you like the earlier Hawkwind albums?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'd never heard of Captain Lockheed & The Starfighters until reading your post Mott...might have to see if I can get hold of a copy I do enjoy concept albums.:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online