Hard - American Dog

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I'm not anal about it but if someone is going to start throwing sub-genres around to describe a bands sound it's nice if they at least have a clue about what they are talking about and know what the sub-genres they are throwing out sound like at least.

I still enjoy the fact that someone can call something " insert three sub-gernes here" and I will have a bit of an idea what they sound like ..or at least a ball park idea ( if they have a clue about what they are saying that is ).

I still think people who don't understand genre classification or don't have a good ear for them are the people who are annoyed by people throwing genre,
sub-genres around in descriptions.

But whatever, TBH it annoys me when people call something something it is not.
because I might ignore music I might actually like if I gave it an ear ..etc.

Let the flame war begin :heheh:

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I dont see a future in arguing about a genre title. A lot of these genre tags dont even have text book definitions, and some genre tags are based on a "feeling" or a topic the lyrics are about.......

Like for instance "sludge". Sludge is a sub-genre for metal, and according to the very sketchy definition I could find online, it does have elements of grunge. Infact, sludge metal has so many different musical elements there is no clear cut definition.

When I say something sounds sludgey (which is not saying sludge metal, BTW), I am referring to the low distorted sounds I am hearing.

Oh, DKW, are you saying I am musically ignorant? I will admit to not being an expert nor am I trying to be an expert, but I know what my ears are hearing. I am not anal about genre tags, and could give a shit what the genre is........I only offer my opinion in good faith.

:cheers2

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Never heard of these guys. Listening to the first song in the first post right now (Long Time Comin'). Not a bad tune. I love the music in it, although the acoustic intro was way too long. Once it gets rolling, it's a pretty cool tune.

Definitely going to listen to some more of this. :)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
American Dog has several albums out, Lynch. Nothing new as far as lyrical topics go, but they are a good rockin' band.

I do love the song titles and album titles. They have one album from 2001, Six Pack: Songs about Drinkin' and ****in" :oyea:

Gotta love a band with a sense of humor!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought so too :D

I haven't listened to that album, so I cant vouch for the music, but I can vouch for what is on Scars n' Bars.......which is a decent album.

Just check out the jam here........the intro hurts my ears, the music is totally repetitive, but the song lyrics are funny!

joe

Reaction score
I'm not anal about it but if someone is going to start throwing sub-genres around to describe a bands sound it's nice if they at least have a clue about what they are talking about and know what the sub-genres they are throwing out sound like at least.

I still enjoy the fact that someone can call something " insert three sub-gernes here" and I will have a bit of an idea what they sound like ..or at least a ball park idea ( if they have a clue about what they are saying that is ).

I still think people who don't understand genre classification or don't have a good ear for them are the people who are annoyed by people throwing genre,
sub-genres around in descriptions.

But whatever, TBH it annoys me when people call something something it is not.
because I might ignore music I might actually like if I gave it an ear ..etc.

Let the flame war begin :heheh:

92818388.jpg

:D

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I dont see a future in arguing about a genre title. A lot of these genre tags dont even have text book definitions, and some genre tags are based on a "feeling" or a topic the lyrics are about.......

Like for instance "sludge". Sludge is a sub-genre for metal, and according to the very sketchy definition I could find online, it does have elements of grunge. Infact, sludge metal has so many different musical elements there is no clear cut definition.

When I say something sounds sludgey (which is not saying sludge metal, BTW), I am referring to the low distorted sounds I am hearing.

Oh, DKW, are you saying I am musically ignorant? I will admit to not being an expert nor am I trying to be an expert, but I know what my ears are hearing. I am not anal about genre tags, and could give a shit what the genre is........I only offer my opinion in good faith.

:cheers2

Personally I think Sludge is one of the easiest genre to identify but there are a lot of different element mixed into different sludge metal bands sounds which is what sets them apart from each other. The thing they all have in common is the sludge...the rest of the elements could be anything.

Grunge is a meaningless word..why!?!?!? All the bands out of Seattle that were originally tagged as "grudge" don't even have anything musically in common with each other other then being Seattle bands therefore it has no definable "grunge" sound. If you were
playing hard rock that wasn't quite metal and you were from Seattle you were "grudge" .Someone please tell me what Alice in Chains has in common with Mud Honey or Nirvana !?!? Nothing other then the fact that they were based in Seattle. Therefore you could throw any band with any sound into the "post grunge" category.

People who don't care about the meanings of terms shouldn't use those terms since they have no regard for what they actually mean, IMO.
I'm not gonna argue the fact that lots of people throw musical terms around when they have no idea what they really mean any farther, but it is my opinion that one should get to know what a term actually refers to before using it. This is not directed toward anyone but a general statement.

joe

Reaction score
grunge, grudge, sludge, fudge, chocolate, peanuts and caramel.:heheh:

oh_henry-300-210.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online