Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

Singer JACK RUSSELL Launches New Version Of GREAT WHITE - Dec. 12, 2011
GREAT WHITE singer Jack Russell has released the following statement:

"To all my friends:

Just wanted to announce that I will be coming back with my band, GREAT WHITE, and a BRAND NEW lineup.

"My new bandmates are some of the most incredible musicians I have ever had the privilege to play with: Matthew Johnson, former guitarist for GREAT WHITE; Derrick Pontier, former drummer for GREAT WHITE; Dario Seixas, former bassist for FIREHOUSE and the Stephen Pearcy band; and Robby Lochner, former guitarist for Rob Halford's band and Cherie Currie.

"I am very excited about this new beginning.

"I am feeling better than ever, despite any rumors you may hear to the contrary.

"Unfortunately, and as confusing as it will be, my former bandmates and their manager have decided to continue to tour next year under the name I created, GREAT WHITE. I will be touring under the name GREAT WHITE FEATURING JACK RUSSELL to try avoid any confusion.

"So now the true fans will know the difference.

"I will be announcing tour dates as soon as they become available.

"Our first performance will be at the pre-NAMM Jam on January 14, 2012. Only shows advertised as GREAT WHITE FEATURING JACK RUSSELL will include myself on vocals.

"I have missed all of you terribly and look forward to seeing you all on the road. You have no idea how much your love and devotion has meant to me during what has been one of the hardest periods of my life.

"Happy holidays! Much peace and love to you and your families. Have a blessed New Year.

"Yours, as always, Jack Russell, founder and lead vocalist, GREAT WHITE

"P.S.: JACK IS BACK!!!!!!!!"

Russell spent time earlier this year recovering from major surgery after suffering a perforated bowel (a medical emergency in which a hole in the bowel opens to allow its contents to empty into the rest of the abdominal cavity). Singer Terry Ilous of XYZ stepped in to replace Russell on lead vocals.

In an August 2011 interview with Belgrade News, GREAT WHITE guitarist Mark Kendall stated about the band's lead-singer situation, "[Jack] is recovering. Any time you have your midsection cut into — they had to reach a section of his large intestine — any time you open up your body that far, it takes quite a while to rehab the body to reanimate the nerves and all the muscles and stuff. As far as a projected date, it's really more often than not up to Jack. I hear, and I've talked to him a couple or three times a week, he's working, very, very hard to get back. He misses it terribly. He misses all of us. And we'd like him to come back when he's 150 percent ready, if you follow my line of thinking. Because I'd hate for him to come back too soon and realize, 'Oh, wow, I really should have done rehab for another month before I tried to come back. Now I gotta take more time off.' I want him to be just so ready to go that he just blows people's minds. So we're all being very supportive of him. And the great thing is he's being very supportive of our scenario by endorsing us to go out and do what we're doing. And giving Terry Ilous, who's filling in for Jack, encouragement. He calls him a couple a times a month, and says, 'I'm hearing great things about you, thanks for singing my songs so well.' We're having a great time with Terry, so it's a win-win situation. By like I said, I will reiterate, I don't want him coming back to soon. I want it to be right, so when he's back he's back all the way."

jackrussellsgreatwhite.jpg

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
It seems alot of "stuff " going on here, but I wish Jack and the crew (awesome line up) the best and hopefully things will go well..

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Wow I don't know what to think here. On the one hand it sounds like the band is trying to weasel Russell out of the band, and on the other hand it sounds like Russell wants to do a solo tour and steal the name away from the actual band. Not sure who's telling the truth, based on such little information. Anyone know more about this?

In any case I think situations like this are highly distasteful and I would advise both groups to grow a pair, drop the old name and go out on their own merits. The old name can mean a LOT, I know, but when you have crappy situations like this, there's only one way to take the high road. If ALL you have going for you is a recognizable name then you don't deserve it in the first place, so in other words anybody worthy of their own band name will do just fine touring without it. When it breaks down into disputes and multiple bands touring with the same name, it just makes all involved look like irate preschoolers. It's not becoming for grown men.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I wish him the best. Great that he's out singing again but I can't stand when two bands go out with the same name and one that says "featuring ____"

That just bugs me. L.A. Guns is doing this...I mean it's not worth it. If the name is important to both sides then get together and play some music. I mean someone has got to give up the name here...:heheh:

I also didn't realize there was any trouble in the Great White camp. :uh:

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This could turn ugly....

blabbermouth.net

GREAT WHITE: JACK RUSSELL 'Does Not Have The Right To Start His Own' Version Of The Band - Dec. 13, 2011
GREAT WHITE members Mark Kendall (lead guitar), Scott Snyder (bass), Audie Desbrow (drums), Michael Lardie (guitar, keyboards) and Terry Ilous (lead vocals) have responded to founding singer Jack Russell's announcement that he is planning to hit the road in early 2012 with a brand new version of GREAT WHITE.

Russell revealed over the weekend that he was joining forces with Matthew Johnson (former guitarist for GREAT WHITE), Derrick Pontier, (former drummer for GREAT WHITE), Dario Seixas (former bassist for FIREHOUSE and the Stephen Pearcy band) and Robby Lochner (former guitarist for Rob Halford's band and Cherie Currie) in a new incarnation of the classic '80s rock act, with plans to tour under the name GREAT WHITE FEATURING JACK RUSSELL in order to "try [to] avoid any confusion" with any other group calling itself GREAT WHITE.

Russell spent time earlier this year recovering from major surgery after suffering a perforated bowel (a medical emergency in which a hole in the bowel opens to allow its contents to empty into the rest of the abdominal cavity). Singer Terry Ilous of XYZ stepped in to replace Russell on lead vocals.

Kendall, Snyder, Desbrow, Lardie and Ilous have released the following statement in response to Russell's announcement:

"First and foremost, our main concern is our fans.

"We have spent 30 years trying to be the best we can be and bring our fans the top quality of music they have become accustomed to and deserve.

"It saddens us today to have to respond to Jack Russell's announcement.

"Jack Russell announced on Facebook on Saturday, December 10, 2011 that he was returning to GREAT WHITE with a new lineup. This was a complete shock to the entire GREAT WHITE family.

"This couldn't be further from the truth.

"As we all know, Jack Russell has been fighting drug and alcohol abuse for many years. He has had numerous stints in and out of treatment facilities and hospitals.

"In 2010 Jack's physical condition deteriorated to the point that he routinely fell on and off stage, forgot lyrics and we had to cancel shows due to his inability to perform.

"In the past two years, Jack has had five major surgeries and has almost died three times. His drug abuse was so bad that his body began to shut down and ultimately resulted in colostomy surgery from a perforated bowel (he nearly died during this procedure). The colostomy surgery saved his life, but vanquished him with a colostomy bag for a year.

"We stood by Jack; we supported his sobriety and eagerly awaited his return.

"Jack was first slated to return to GREAT WHITE this past summer. Unfortunately, his frail body and his drug abuse prohibited this event. In the following months, Jack had three more surgeries that delayed his return. Finally, he chose February 2012 as his target return date.

"We had five clear conditions for Jack's return:

1. Jack had to be drug free. Off all opiates, methadone, Valium or Xanax.
2. Jack had to be off prednisone (a steroid that ate away at Jack's internal organs that caused the perforated bowl).
3. Jack had to be sober and off crack cocaine and all alcohol.
4. Jack had to agree to weekly drug tests.
5. Jack must attend weekly meetings for AA and NA.

"Last week Jack notified management he would not make it back by February 2012. Jack referred to his doctor's opinion that he would not be ready. He had just started physical rehabilitation again and his legs and back needed more rehab to handle the rigors of touring. Jack thought he would be ready by May to start the summer touring season. However, he wasn't sure if he could be off the methadone by then or ever. Management reiterated that he had to be completely drug-free for his return. He owed it to the fans. He owed it to us. He owed it to himself.

"Out of nowhere, we all received an email on Saturday, December 10, 2011 stating that he was coming back now and that he was starting his own (a different lineup) GREAT WHITE. As you can imagine, this was shocking, to say the least. We were saddened and hurt from this shocking announcement.

"We only want to do right by our fans.

"We aim to give the best possible show and have every fan leave the show feeling they got their money's worth.

"This band is sober and music is our passion. With Jack Russell not being drug-free and unable to physically perform on stage, it will only let down our fans.

"Time and again, Jack Russell has let down his band and fans. His addictions have ruined his life the past eight years.

"We will not sit by and enable our brother to abuse alcohol and drugs to kill himself. We have lost too many loved ones to this madness. After the passing of our dear friend, the talented Jani Lane, it has become more evident that this has to stop. It must end.

"Since Jack's departure in August 2010, GREAT WHITE has performed almost 100 concerts. We've had no shortened sets, cancelations or song choice limitations due to vocal issues.

"In this struggling economy, fans need and deserve more — not less. We owe it to our fans and the promoters to not to allow Jack Russell and some garage band to hurt GREAT WHITE's classic rock legacy and bright future.

"Jack Russell does not have the right to start his own GREAT WHITE or use the name without our names in the lineup.

"We will litigate any promoter that books 'Jack Russell's GREAT WHITE' or uses any logo featuring the name GREAT WHITE.

"We give you our word, we will continue through 2012 and beyond to provide you with the top-quality musical performances you have been accustomed and deserve.

"We hope and pray that Jack gets healthy, happy and sober. His health and well being is the only thing that matters."

GREAT WHITE featuring Terry Ilous

greatwhiteterry.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I wish him the best. Great that he's out singing again but I can't stand when two bands go out with the same name and one that says "featuring ____"

That just bugs me. L.A. Guns is doing this...I mean it's not worth it. If the name is important to both sides then get together and play some music. I mean someone has got to give up the name here...:heheh:

This is exactly what I was thinking, on both of your thoughts.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
melodicrock.com

JACK RUSSELL MAKES FINAL STATEMENT:
Vocalist Jack Russell has made one final statement in relation to this week's back and forth with his former Great White band mates. It reads:

"I am deeply hurt and saddened by the fact that my old friends and band mates would purposely exploit my personal and private medical conditions to try to prevent me from doing what I love. I can't even fathom as to why they would do such a thing and why they would want to personally hurt me so much. This is very upsetting considering that more than half of the band has had their own issues, demons, or personal problems at some point, all of which affected the band at one time or another. I am excited about the future and look forward to seeing all my friends on the road. My interview with Metal Sludge is the only one I will be doing right now, and I will make no further comments regarding this matter." ~ Jack Russell.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Good for him :grinthumb

You know I watched the Station video footage again, and as usual it was very difficult to sit through. We all know that this affected Jack and made things worse for him. Besides being sick on top of it. I still don't like two bands with the same name, but c'mon guys, give Jack a break.

I do not believe he's some bad person or anything. :uh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online