Get In Here If You Like Motown

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Motown was a record company founded by Berry Gordy, Jr. and incorporated as Motown Record Corporation in Detroit, Michigan, USA, on April 14, 1960. The name, a portmanteau of the words motor and town, is also a nickname for Detroit. Now headquartered in New York City, Motown is a subsidiary of Universal Motown Republic Group, itself a subsidiary of Universal Music Group, and now operates as Universal Motown. Motown Records was also the name of Gordy's second record label; the first, Tamla Records, began on January 12, 1959.

Motown played an important role in the racial integration of popular music, as it was the first record label owned by an African American to primarily feature African-American artists who achieved crossover success. In the 1960s, Motown and its soul-based subsidiaries were the most successful proponents of what came to be known as The Motown Sound, a style of soul music with a distinct pop influence.

Motown has owned or distributed releases from more than 45 subsidiaries in varying genres, although it is most famous for its releases in the music genres of rhythm and blues, soul, hip hop and pop. Motown Records left Detroit for Los Angeles in 1972, and remained an independent company until June 28, 1988, when Gordy sold the company to MCA and Boston Ventures (which took over full ownership of Motown in 1991), then to PolyGram in 1994.

I am a Motown fanatic.. It's a style of music I relate to good times.. Summer.. Growing up.. BBQ's.. It never get's old to me...

Time to remember your Motown favorites..Chances are.. most of us have enjoyed countless Motown tunes..

Post your favorites..
I'll start out with the Temptations

I had a chance to meet Berry Gordy one time during a drummer convention in Nashville Tenn. It was a closed seminar for drummers only who were there to demo Zildjians new cymbal line.. I was with Jamoie from the Allman Brothers..

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
Wow Flower, I've never heard that version of Wish It Would Rain:grinthumb I love that song!

Here's a little Smokey...

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
I'm here, I'm here! Among my favourites are Junior Walker & the All-Stars, the Supremes, Four Tops, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, Marvin Gaye and Jimmy Ruffin.

Here's a good forty song three CD compilation that's relatively inexpensive:

51R6hZ7FkOL._SS500_.jpg

:****:

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online