Get In Here If You Like Motown

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I love that R&B Motown sound! Growing up in the 70's here in Los Angeles, KRTH (K-EARTH) played all those 60's classics ("oldies" as they called them) and it was awesome! Too many bands/artists to name, but a few would be the obvious like The Supremes, The Miracles, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Wilson Pickett, Martha Reeves and Aretha.

I even like the 70's am hitmakers like Gladys Knight & The Pips, The Spinners, The Isley Brothers and The 5th Dimension. And then there was the funk like Isaac Hayes' "Shaft", Curtis Mayfield's "Superfly" and Eddie Kendricks' "Keep On Truckin". All good stuff still today! :cheers:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Right on, right on...

And who could forgot about the big three- Earth, Wind and Fire, The Ohio Players and Kool & The Gang? Not to mention Roberta Flack, Rose Royce, Edwin Starr, Marvin Gaye and George Benson. All good stuff!

I can't say I was any real fan of the disco era (save for a very few number of songs), but I'll admit to recently downloading a slew of disco hits from iTunes to close out that chapter. Mostly Donna Summer, but lots of one-offs by Patti Labelle, The Silver Connection, The SOS Band, Sister Sledge, Wild Cherry and the like.

disco-ball.jpg

:dance:

rtbuck

Reaction score
I love it there is so much great stuff with Motown & you know whenever I make up mixed CD's for Parties I always stick a lot of Mowtown on it & it always goes over great

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Motown's subsidiaries didn't stick with African American artists exclusively, either. Rare Earth was on one of their labels.

A few years ago when visiting family in suburban Detroit, we drove into the city to tour the old Motown headquarters and recording studio. It's in an old house. They don't use it anymore, so it's been turned into a small museum. It was really cool walking through the very studios where so many of those great songs were recorded. And in the lobby they had a display of the original artwork for some of their best-known album covers, like some of Stevie Wonders'. It was great fun. If you're a real Motown fan you need to see the place.

BTW, there's a great documentary out there called "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" that features the session musicians who played on 98% of those hits. It's a gas to watch. I highly recommend it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.