Review Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974)

album review

Stout

Reaction score
As I stated in Lord Grendel`s Genesis thread, it is top Genesis album. And thank you, Magic and Lord for recommending me to post this thread in the album reviews forum.
Alright, now, who loves it? Obvioulsy I do,for I wouldnt start this thread. IMO, it is the most creative and imaginative album the band has ever done. The album takes in a wealth of musical styles from the Broadway song(the title track), heavy rock(back In NYC), Ambient(ravine), instrumental(Hairless Heart), and avant garde(The waiting Room).
I knw there are some here who will feel the story is impenetrable. Those are not my feelings. I have my own imterpretation of the storyline and you may very well have yours, which is one of the beautiful things about the album. You can interpret the story anyway you like.
But if you are one of those people who could do without the storyline, you can revel in the individual songs and the stellar songwriting. That is one of the main reasons the album still endures after 35 years. You couldn`t ask for a more diverse and eclectic collection of songs .
I never saw Genesis perform this album live, for I was way too young. I did see a recreation of the show given by the Canadain Genesis tribute band, 'The Musical box', which is the next best thing.
There are those here who may know this, but for those who may not know, an excellent study has been written about the album titled 'Genesis and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' by Kevin Holm Hudson. Anyone who has a strong interest in the album should purchase it. YoU can order this book from Amazon.
The Lamb has been a major influence in my life in regards to my writings. I write fiction in my spare time, and I tend to aim for the raw,gritty, and sometimes downright surreal and bizzarre. The Lamb is all of these things to me and that`s why it is a special album to me.

1713479171062.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: The lamb Lies Down on Broadway appreciation society

Very nice review, Stout. Nice personal touch. Oh, I added the album cover to your post :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Great write up Stout, you have inspired me to play it later today, I have to admit when Lamb was first released I didn't know what to make of it, but more than one hard core fan has the same opinion as you, but few have stated it so eloquently as you have Senor Stout.:cheers:

And LG is fine.;)

Last edited:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

I've loved the Lamb since 75 when I first heard it. It's not only my favorite Genesis album but my favorite album of all time. I've easy palyed side one of this album more than any other album I own.

runtfan

Reaction score
Re: Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

I like it. I think it's a pretty important Genesis album and a pretty important prog album. I think it fantastic until about 2/3 of the way through and then it bogs down for me - but it ends pretty strongly. I could easily cut out 15 - 20 minutes of the music and not miss it. I know that would probably mess up the storyline but I have no interest in the storyline anyway. It's certainly not perfect and I don't think it's Genesis' best album but I'd say it's a must have for true Genesis fans.

Vintage

Vintage Rocker
Reaction score

I got the Lamb in 5.1 last month. Incredible!

Stout

Reaction score

Thanks for those who have responded so far, and thank you, Magic, for that editing job.
It would have been wild to see this adapted to the big screen. There were plans for this to become a movie back in 1979. Gabriel was working with the director Alejandro Jodorowsky, infamous for ' El Topo', which is one of the more bizarre movies I have ever laid eyes upon . The two were working on screenplay ideas, but lack of financing and the rest of Genesis unable to commit to the project killed this idea off. One can only imagine what could have been with the visual imagery committed to celluoid.

Stout

Reaction score

I got the Lamb in 5.1 last month. Incredible!

As I had mentioned in the Genesis thread, I`m receiving the 1970-75 box set shortly. I cannot wait!

Vintage

Vintage Rocker
Reaction score

As I had mentioned in the Genesis thread, I`m receiving the 1970-75 box set shortly. I cannot wait!

I got it. It rocks. Now I want the box set with the live stuff.

Stout

Reaction score

I got it. It rocks. Now I want the box set with the live stuff.
I am quite pleased with it. I happened to get a pretty good deal in purcahsing this set. A gift card also helped as well. The box set is well put together, the 5.1 remasters bring out instrumentation I had never heard before. `The Lamb' is the holy grail for me , and I do like on how you can view the original slide show when listening to the music on DVD.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Staff online

Members online