Frank Zappa (Official Thread)

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Hi Aktivator!
Am I correct in surmising that the Zappa shows were rather long?He sure as hell had a lot to say,both musically and lyrically.Did you ever catch his brief appearance on "The Monkees" when he and Mike Nesmith,each acting as the other, performed a bit of "destructive art",completely demolishing,I think,a motorbike?This was during the show's second season,when the Monkees injected more creativity into their programs and on the very last episode Mickey Dolenz introduced Tim Buckley into the fold with a song I didn't catch the name of,but was very fascinating..........

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Hi Aktivator!
Am I correct in surmising that the Zappa shows were rather long?He sure as hell had a lot to say,both musically and lyrically.Did you ever catch his brief appearance on "The Monkees" when he and Mike Nesmith,each acting as the other, performed a bit of "destructive art",completely demolishing,I think,a motorbike?This was during the show's second season,when the Monkees injected more creativity into their programs and on the very last episode Mickey Dolenz introduced Tim Buckley into the fold with a song I didn't catch the name of,but was very fascinating..........

Everyone yard long in the 70's but zappa's Halloween shows went at least an 1 hr longer than normal . Zappa had so many amazing musicians come and go he worked them to death. Let alone his babbling. Yes love that monkees episode my brother made me watch the monkeys over and over that one I liked.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I think it was Frank Zappa's humour that hooked me in initially, brilliant musician and a great thinker but it was songs like "Bobby Brown" and "Stink-foot", those little gems that had me laughing. They led to a love of his music. I never got to see Frank live but watching Dweezil and the band play tribute to Frank in 2010 was a big thrill. Both father and son, just special people.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I was very impressed with the clips of Zappa interviews I've seen.For such a musically creative genius,he actually seemed to me that in his personal life,he definitely did not let his fame go to his head and yes,he did indeed possess a marvelous sense of humor.Great man all around.Has anyone heard much from Moon Unit or Dweezil?I really liked "Valley Girl" that Moon Unit did with her dad.Classic novelty........

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
I'm currently in Progressive Rock rock mode. I go through trends in listening habits....Metal, Metal and more Metal with occasional interuptions of extended Prog sessions. Been on a Gentle Giant bing here of late which mmorphed into breaking my Frank Zappa collection out. Listening to this now;

2451222.jpg

Zappa is the shit...rock and jazz ... the only pure Jazz albums I ever listen to are from his discography

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online