img_4026-25.jpg

Frank Turner Official Website

Discography:

2007 Sleep Is for the Week
2008 Love Ire & Song
2008 The First Three Years
2009 Poetry of the Deed
2011 England Keep my Bones

Frank Turner, born in Bahrain and raised in Winchester, is a folk rock songcrafter with a glimmer in his eye, a heart of gold and the energy of a stampede of buffalo. His music ranges from raw, powerful and ballsy to gentle, warm and uplifting. No matter what song he sings, there is always a unique flair that comes from a genuine characterful voice and a true, audible emotion he portrays.

It wasn't always this way though, Frank's roots were in punk and up until 2005 he was the lead singer of hardcore band Million Dead, who released 2 albums and a host of EP's and singles with Frank at the front. After having differences with Million Dead and leaving, Frank then embarked on an ambitious solo career, trading electric for acoustic and anger for energy.

His first album to come to fruition was 2007's "Sleep Is For The Week":

Frank+Turner+-+Sleep+is+for+the+week-2007.jpg

With traces of leftover aggression, snapshots of comedy and a carefree spirit combined to create songs of love, lust, loss and hangovers, Sleep Is For The Week is a rock album of stature that loses no glimpse of attitude!

Next came 2008's "Love, Ire and Song", my favourite work of his so far:

51MYlwcHukL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is where things really pick up. With this album, Frank announces himself as a fully fledged songwriter, each track is beautiful, whether rock fuelled with electric guitars and bells and whistles or folk fuelled, violins and pianos included. Frank's voice is soaring, straining and downright epic on every song, and the instruments keep the pace superbly. This album will make you laugh, cry, leap and sing time and time again, and IMO that is what makes a classic.

His latest album is "Poetry Of The Deed" released in 2009:

71hMzMMjxCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Poetry Of The Deed is the first album to include his full band recording, and it's another good one. Along with the epic folk rock tracks he's famous for, there's a lot more catchy hooks and pop rock influence. The piano is more prominent, and overall it's got more of an indie feel than the first two albums.

It is clear to see that in all his music, Frank Turner has poured his heart and soul into creating it. There is more energy, emotion and spirit expressed in these albums than in just about any other I've heard. And Frank's not even done yet, his 4th album "England Keep My Bones" is due to be released in only 10 weeks time! So here's to Frank, and to the future, and most importantly, to being young and crass enough to care! :cheers2

M

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Re: The Official Frank Turner Thread!

And to show you what I'm rambling on about, here are some prime selections! :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Listened to Photosynthesis, right off the bat I really like it. Its very folky and very uplifting. I love it.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

You're right it's about ****ing time! :tongue:

This is the best artist Sal has ever introduced to me. Even better than Mumford and Sons who I like! I've been hounding the bastard to make this thread forever! :oyea: Thanks dude!

Because of Sal I own "Love, Ire and Song" and "Poetry of the Deed"! I love the mix of folk with the punk/festive pub style! "Photosynthesis was the song Sal introduced me with back in the days of the Musical Thirst social group! I loved it and groovesharked Frank Turner and loved every song! Here are some of my other Frank Turner favorites:

frank-turner-2.jpg
I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous
(I love the build to this, great storytelling as well)

Reasons Not To Be An Idiot
(great pop song with great lyrics)rOjz5YkCgVc

Substitute
(How could I not love a song with the lyrics "music is my substitute for love"! :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

I'm just really really liking the folk vibe this artist has. I've been a humongous fan of folk ever since I started listening to the Decemberists. And I am with Soot, Mumford and Sons is another one that I quite enjoy. This one caught me by surprise though, considering I haven't heard of him before. But I can guarantee that I will be a fan in no time. Great videos you guys posted, i'll post some once I get more involved in listening to this artist.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

It's infectious for sure, didn't take me very long at all to become addicted! I actually found him by mistake, browsing a different band (That I've now forgotten) on the same label as Frank and thought I'd give him a spin. One spin turned into 5, which turned into an album, which turned into all 3 and here I am now as a megafan planning to attend his Adelaide show played on a small pub stage! :heheh:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

^That's how it happens with me as well. I'll see a band that I might like, I listen to one song, I download more music, I buy more music, and before I know it, i'm scoping out concert tickets.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Here's something I just found that's been around for ages :heheh:

The first single from Frank's upcoming album! :D

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

I'm not as big a fan as Sal here, but I've done a little bit of digging into Frank Turner's discography, and I'm excited to also attend the show on a small pub stage in Adelaide.

:cheers2

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

I tell you guys what... Frank puts on one HELL of a live show. I think his music is better live than on record (although that may also be in part due to the atmosphere at the show, which was nothing short of electric)

Before last night, I'd never have believed that one guy on an acoustic guitar could put on such a rockin' show. I think the adrenaline's still pumping.

May write up a review later tonight if I have time :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online