Forgotten Bands of the Sixties

cheggy

Reaction score
I too was only a kid in the 60's. All the music we listened to seemed to come out of the little AM radio. Currently in the process of downloading songs by year from the 60's, and came across two bands that I totally forgot about. From 1967, remember THE STRAWBERRY ALARM CLOCK with "Incense and Peppermints"? And from 1968, the group SPIRIT with their one hit wonder "I got a Line on You" and 1969, the TEE SHOTS with "My bella amie"

Dessalines

Reaction score
Oh gee:

The Paupers (Canadian Band with Skip Prokop, later of Light House)
The Gentrys
The McCoys
The Castaways ( You know, "Liar Liar")
The Bobby Fuller Four
Los Brovos (You Know, "Black Is Black)
The Buckinghams
The Music Machine (Each band Member wore a single black glove)
The Seeds
The Stawberry Alarm Clock
The Soul Survivors
Delaney And Bonnie
Canned Heat
Ultimate Spinach
The 13th Flooor Elevators
The Charlatans

Dessalines

Reaction score
I too was only a kid in the 60's. All the music we listened to seemed to come out of the little AM radio. Currently in the process of downloading songs by year from the 60's, and came across two bands that I totally forgot about. From 1967, remember THE STRAWBERRY ALARM CLOCK with "Incense and Peppermints"? And from 1968, the group SPIRIT with their one hit wonder "I got a Line on You" and 1969, the TEE SHOTS with "My bella amie"

Yeah but Spirit was really a pretty good and serious band and put some very good but very different albums.

Their guitar player, Randy California, was discovered by Jimi Hendrix in New York City before Hendrix made it big, I think it was at Mannys or Sam Ash, where California was working or just happened to be there. Jimi asked him to join his band, (which didn't really exist at that point), and play with him at the Cafe Wah in the village, which he did and also talked his parents on Long Island into letting him continue.

California wasn't his real last name but Jimi called him that because there were two Randy's in the band, so he called one Texas, the bass player and the other California. When Chas Chandler was taking Jimi over to London, Jimi wanted Randy California to go with him but Chandler said he was too young. He was just sixteen at the time. That Randy later changed his name legally to California and went on to be a founder of Spirit. He died in Hawaii saving his son from a rip tide in 1997. His son survived. And so it goes....

Ktrek

Reaction score
Hi...I'm new here but I wanted to drop a note in this thread. I read entirely through this thread and saw many names that brought back some great memories. I even saw some names I had never heard of before. Many of the groups or artists mentioned I would think are not what I personally would call forgotten because their hits are still being played today on oldies radio stations. I do think that groups like The Shocking Blue deserve to be mentioned though because they should have gotten much more attention and airplay than just their song Venus (great as that song is they actually had better offerings).

I also think that the group LOVE is definitely forgotten and overlooked. One of the most influential bands of the late 60s that very few even know who they are. Their album "Forever Changes" should be owned by every collector of 60s rock. They never seemed to get the break they so rightly deserved.

One other group I think should be mentioned is The Dillards. Technically they would probably be considered Bluegrass but they directly or indirectly influenced so many bands that would become the very popular country rock genre of the late 60s and early 70s. They influenced band like the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and so many others.

I'll probably come up with some other noteworthy mentions and post again when I do.

Kevin

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I also think that the group LOVE is definitely forgotten and overlooked. One of the most influential bands of the late 60s that very few even know who they are. Their album "Forever Changes" should be owned by every collector of 60s rock. They never seemed to get the break they so rightly deserved.

Kevin

Totally agree with you Kevin. Welcome to the forums! :grinthumb

One of my favorite Shocking Blue tunes: Never Marry A Railroad Man

Cincinnatus

Reaction score
Lonnie Mack . One of the first guitar virtuos. Blending Blues , country , bluegrass , rockabilly , thru his Flying V with Bigsby tremolo .Preceded Clapton and the likes by two or three yrs . A very much overlooked pioneer of rock blues electric guitar

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Throw me in the love for LOVE group!!

I LOVE LOVE!!! Forever Changes is indeed one of the finest and sadly underlooked classics from the 60's!!

I say that with 100% respect!!

:bow:

ted tayler

Singer & Author
Reaction score
Just a few from the Old Granary Club in Bristol where we were 'resident' for just over a year. Whatever happened to
John Dummer Blues Band (Dave Kelly was a fine player!)
Steamhammer
Principal Edwards Magic Theatre (one of the best/daftest names EVER?)
Keith Tippetts Band
Elmer Gantry & The Velvet Opera (drummer & bassist went on to The Strawbs from memory?)
King Crimson
Barclay James Harvest
East Of Eden
Marsupilami (Jecca the flute player has won medals at Chelsea for her herbs!)
Blossom Toes

Happy days!

aerozep3207

Reaction score
Here are a few that I wouldn't call forgotten,just overlooked as part of the 60s pioneer spirit.

Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs
The McCoys
The Outsiders
The Mothers of Invention
The Dave Clark Five

keep those model subway trains running - watch the closing doors

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member