Forgive Durden

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
logo.jpg
Forgive+Durden+forgivedurden.jpg

After 3 members left Thomas Duttons band after the first album, Thomas rather than call it quits decided to keep the band (titled from the Fight Club book) going forward by creating a rock musical he would write and he would recruit a who's who of 2,000's rock to help him do it. The album/Project would be called:

Razia's Shadow
Forgive_Durden_Razias_shadow_A_musical_forgive_durden.jpg

I got two free songs off of a website which was my avenue to hearing the project. I don't understand the story as I never delve into concept albums. I prefer life based writing but I just liked the theatrical dramatic epic feel to the album. Thomas was quoted only as saying this much:

"The album tells the story of a world divided in two by the selfish actions of a powerful and egotistical, yet insecure angel. After generations of darkness, the world is eventually brought back together by the love and sacrifice of a couple brave enough to fulfill their destinies."~Thomas Dutton

Each singer is a character in the story and plays that role. Here's the roster and their role. Younger members will be more likely to recognize the names/groups:

Casey Crescenzo From The Dear Hunter as O the Scientist
John Baldwin Gourley From Portugal. The Man and Kris Anaya From An Angle as Bawaba Brothers
Aaron Weiss From mewithoutYou as the Narrator
Danny Stevens From The Audition as Gargul the Oracle
Chris Conley From Saves the Day as Toba the Tura
Dan Young From This Providence as Sangara
Max Bemis From Say Anything as Barayas the Spider
Greta Salpeter From The Hush Sound as Princess Anhura
Brendon Urie From Panic! at the Disco as Pallis
Nic Newsham From Gatsbys American Dream as King Malka
Shawn Harris From The Matches as Doctor Dumaya
Lizzie Huffman From Man in the Blue Van as Nidria
Thomas Dutton From Forgive Durden as Adakias and Ahrima

Here's some tracks I liked from the album:

Life Is Looking Up
(the first track I heard, very frenetic pop rock opera)

The Spider and the Lamp feat. Max Bemis
(second I heard, Max is the perfect vocalist to pick for this type of storytelling)

The End and The Beginning feat. Greta Salpeter and Brendon Urie

The group/project has yet too move on since this album in 2008 but I hope Thomas decides to keep doing ambitious projects in the future! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Intersting stuff...I'm a sucker for over the top production/orchestration. I like the theater aspect of it. Will have to listen a bit more. Not sure if I have a favorite from what you posted yet but I did like the way The End and The Beginning wound down starting at 3:53. A nice ending to the three clips you posted. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I figured you might like this MP! It's different for the style of music out now! It's not a Metal concept album but more of an alternative one. One of those albums that I listen to for something different! :grinthumb

limpy

Penguin Power
Reaction score
What a great discovery! Just cruising the 2000's thread's and come along to these guys. It's very alternative and I actually enjoyed listen to the theatrical music they present! Life is Looking up is a firm favorite and also Spider and the Lamps! But I have found a few other ones on the net by these guys which I have down loaded.

Doctor Doctor
(It's not the best quality, but it will do :D)

Parable of the Sower

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Limpy, it's cool you entered that second vid as that's from the first album when the group was another whole beast altogether. The first album the band was just a straight ahead alternative group and then the band members left so the lead singer just gathered every friend he had in the genre, kept the name and made his own epic project. It's cool to hear a band be two different things just between albums. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online