4. "Back Where You Belong" (Jones) – 3:15
5. "Love Has Taken Its Toll" (Gramm, McDonald) – 3:31
6. "Double Vision" (Jones, Gramm) – 3:44
7. "Tramontane" (Greenwood, Jones, McDonald) – 3:55
8. "I Have Waited So Long" (Jones) – 4:06
9. "Lonely Children" (Jones) – 3:37
10. "Spellbinder" (Gramm, Jones) – 4:49

The Album

The sophomore release from Foreigner didn’t fall prey to the curse, the curse that all bands face when they have a powerful debut, the 2nd release tends to fall short of expectations. This album was just the opposite, and actually outsold the debut and was just as solid as the first release. “Double Vision” had the AOR greats “Hot Blooded”, “Double Vision”, and “Blue Morning, Blue Day”. This album also features the only instrumental song ever released on a Foreigner studio album, “Tramontane”. “Double Vision” sticks to the same formula the band used for its first release; strong melodies, sexually driven lyrics, big guitar riffs, and simple rhythms. Once you mix that formula with the vocal greatness of Lou Gramm and the outstanding musical direction and guitar riffage of Mick Jones, you end up with an album and band that helped define the classics of the 70’s. “Double Vision” solidified the bands reputation as one of the best hard rocking AOR bands of the 70’s.

The Music:

”Hot Blooded” ~ A classic head-bobbing song. The droning drum intro is great and the solo mid song has a great guitar hook. This song has become a staple for the band at concerts, fans just love the beat and sexual innuendos of the lyrics.

”Blue Morning, Blue Day” ~ This song has a great melody, some simple rhythms, and Lou’s vocals talents are up and down the scale. The lyrics are something we all can identify with; “Can’t you see what your love has done to me”.

”You’re All I Am” ~ A ballad written by Mick Jones. Simple, cheesy, and sappy, but very nice with a short synth driven solo mid song.

”Back Where You Belong” ~ Another ballad written by Mick Jones. The opening riff is great, then the music goes into some synthesized guitars and other synth work that I am not overly fond of. Eh, I guess the song is ok…..nothing special, though.

”Love Has Taken Its Toll” ~ After two ballads, the band gets back to the program with a decent rocker. Lou does a really good job on this song, which makes the song worth listening to. This song is heavy with synthesized keyboard sounds, and I must say, this song is the band’s weakest musical link.

”Double Vision” ~ This is classic Foreigner. “OHHH, Double Vision, OHHH, I need double vision, my double vision gets the best of me” awesome! This is one of my favorite songs from Foreigner.

”Tramontane” ~ This is an overlooked gem. The song is synthesized to the max, and shows off the talents of Al Greenwood, and he could really make it work. This is the only instrumental the band would ever release on a studio album, which I find a total shame, since Greenwood was loaded with talent. I believe Jones held him back, but I could be wrong.

”I Have Waited So Long” ~ Another one of Jones’ ballads. The music is decent, but I am not real fond of these sappy ballads from Foreigner. I do want to bring to light, though, Greenwood’s synth work mid song, he really does a good job.

”Lonely Children” ~ And we are back to rockin’ the house. This is another overlooked song by Foreigner. Not one of their best, but the sound is so classic to Foreigner.

”Spellbinder” ~ The grand finale of the album, and what a spectacular ending. I really like this song. The melody is mesmerizing, and Jones’ solo is pretty decent. Lou is at his vocal best.

Even though this album did better in sales, I still find the debut album a tad better. As we all know, this wasn’t the last we would hear from Foreigner, and the next two albums, IMO, are the best the band ever recorded…….but those are reserved for more reviews :)

I give this album a 4/5 for listening pleasure

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Re: Foreigner ~ Double Vision (1978)

Nice writeup (per normal).

hell of a good sophmore effort from these guys. I think their first four albums all rocked pretty good! Probably my favorite song from them is on this album... Blue Morning, Blue Day

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Double Vision is my favorite,,,then IV and then the debut.

Not bad at all Snoop.:hab:

taha

Reaction score

Seems like everything Gramm is associated w/ musically turns out mighty good

Rockperson

Reaction score

Great review of one of Foreigners best albums, a classic album.

Lonely Children is one of my all time favourite Foreigner tracks :grinthumb

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score

Another fantastic offering from Gramm & co. Blue Morning and Double Vision are my top picks, but most of the album is pretty good. Nice review Magic.

Rocker440

Reaction score

Fantastic, extremely well written review, Lady Magic! Imo, your reviews are all terrific, well written and very accurate! I greatly appreciate the effort, thoughts and your comments that you put into your reviews! :grinthumb

One of my very favorite albums! I would be extremely hard pressed to pick only one Foreigner album as my one definitive favorite. One of the things that I believe makes some albums or songs possibly standout more is perhaps hearing songs during a special occasion, or during a very memorable event, imo. I have had both with songs on Double Vision, and also with experiencing Foreigner on the DV tour.

I also believe that both the songwriting, the performances and the music was both very inspired and more refined on this second album. All of the band members seemed to be very comfortable performing, as well as collaborating on the songwriting and had great chemistry on stage. I do consider myself very privileged to have seen Foreigner at that time, and with that terrific line up of extremely talented musicians! :bow:

Of the many bands that have either talked about, or have done "reunion" tours, I'm pretty surprised the original members of Foreigner haven't been one that either already has, nor do they appear to want to do that. Imo, it would be fantastic to experience again! Although some may have either personal or professional differences over the years, I believe the fans would great enjoy, appreciate and want to see all of the original members perform together as Foreigner!

:cheers:

Aginghipster

Reaction score

Some of the songs may be sappy as you say, but they had an edge to them. Foreigner 4 truly started the band's transition into sappy territory.

beyond

Reaction score

I got this LP, i like this album very much :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online

No members online now.