Flipper

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
FLIPPER

444px-flipper-band.jpg

Flipper is a punk band that formed in San Francisco, California in 1979. Their time as a group was erratic after 1987 because of Will Shatter's (bass/vocals) death. They continued to perform but did so erratically up until 1995 because of their replacement bass player John Dougherty's death.

August 28, 2005 the band reunited in support of CBGB's.
This was the original lineup (except for Shatter), Bruno DeSmartass returned to fill Shatter's spot (as he did in 1982).

In 2006 Krist Novoselic took up the bass position and did so up until 2008. They recorded an album in the same year with Novoselic. Rachel Thoel replaced Novoselic in 2009.

Their influence is bigger then the fan base they had during their prime years. Eric Avery of Jane's Addiction has said Jane's early sound was influenced by Flipper. Kurt Cobain as a huge fan of Flipper and often wore self-made Flipper t-shirts, (in the booklet pictures of Nirvana's In Utero you can see that, also their first SNL performance Cobain is wearing one as well.)
Henry Rollins described Flipper "They were just heavy. Heavier than you. Heavier than anything...When they played they were amazing."-Get in the Van

Since Cobain was a fan of them Flipper did a cover of Scentless Apprentice for Nirvana's tribute album.

Very cool band, very abrasive, very raw.

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score
I love Flipper so much I faggotry flip everytime I listen to them. The cigarette holding while singing into the mic is first class shit in Get Away. I'm guessing you own some of their live albums Mud, I do.

Flipper is close to the only band that are acceptable and awesome to do a Nirvana cover.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I love Flipper so much I faggotry flip everytime I listen to them. The cigarette holding while singing into the mic is first class shit in Get Away. I'm guessing you own some of their live albums Mud, I do.

Flipper is close to the only band that are acceptable and awesome to do a Nirvana cover.

Do not have any live albums for them which is unfortunate.

Yea they are one bad ass band. They're the only band that established that should and can cover Nirvana.

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score
Exactly. What better band to do it than a band Kurt admired and loved?

And that is unfortunate. Get on it bud, they are Good with a capital G.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Exactly. What better band to do it than a band Kurt admired and loved?

And that is unfortunate. Get on it bud, they are Good with a capital G.

Scratch Acid? haha and Sonic Youth. Those are the only cool enough bands to do so IMO.

Sonic Youth should have covered Radio Friendly Unit Shifter.

I know I know. Haha I will find those next.