Favorite 80's guitarist?

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Probably Billy Gibbons but he's been around since Hendrix days.. Hope that counts..:D

Cincinnatus

Reaction score
Alex Lifeson was doing some great things in the 80s. Andy Summers was good too . Prince is a very much overlooked player also . Very dynamic

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dave Mustaine for sure, pulls off some of the best spider chord riffs.

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
The 1980s gave birth to the mother lode of Guitar Gods so I can't say that I have a favorite. I can name the people who influenced me, though. Jake E. Lee made me pick up a guitar for the first time and learn it. Paul Gilbert, once I saw him live, pretty much blew me away so much I virtually re-educated myself from the ground up on how to even play. Even though they didn't start out in the 80s (they came from the 70s), Alex Lifeson and EVH are my chord structure bedrocks all the way. I also gained some influence from the incomparable Yngwie J. Malmsteen.

Again, there are LOTS more than this--especially when I consider everything I've heard. I'm mostly thinking of guitarists I've watched either live or whose videographed performance was so breathtaking, it actually changed the way I thought about playing guitar. There are some true greats out there but very few were doing that to me.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I can name the people who influenced me, though. Jake E. Lee made me pick up a guitar for the first time and learn it.

One of the top 3 guys that made me want to play, along with George Lynch and Ace Frehley. Jake's fretwork on Bark at the Moon (the whole album) still amazes me and intrigues me to this day. His guitars on Ultimate Sin and the first two Badlands CDs are also rock solid. It's too bad we didn't get more from him. He's one truly gifted guitarist.

:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelyncline

Members online