favorite 80's bands

Big Generator

Reaction score
Re: What Are Your 80s Favorites?

Drummer Chris said:
The New Best of the 80's for me was : Simple Minds...Great; Passionate Band!
Tears For Fears....Absolutely Intense...especially Shout
and finally ; Motley Crue...Dr. Feelgood album
How's that for a mix?
Chris

Yes, Simple Minds were great....definitely the most grandiose UK of the 1980s...slightly proggy, too?

Nirvanadude

Vinyl Collector
Reaction score

Big Generator said:
I can't remember that one - will track it down.

Yes - Lynch was great...and didn't he have ultimate hair too?

Just Got Lucky is off of Tooth And Nail (1984) The whole album smokes! Yeah, Goerge sure had some funky hair :D

It's funny seeing some of these bands live now with short hair! (being that I see so very few concerts)

eccentric man

Reaction score

most of the stuff i like from the 80s didn't get into my ears until the 90s regardless i still enjoy hearing stuff like

jane's addiction
soundgarden
red hot chili peppers
the pixies

but for 'real' 80s duran duran is the band for me haha

slash7

Reaction score

Guns N Roses, Metallica, Iron Maiden, AC/DC.

I think that Journey started in 70's, i m not sure... Help..

Big Generator

Reaction score

slash7 said:
Guns N Roses, Metallica, Iron Maiden, AC/DC.

I think that Journey started in 70's, i m not sure... Help..

Yes - they started in the 1970s but peaked in the mid-80s.

J

JN21

Best stuff to come out of the 80's

Chili Peppers
Pixies
Replacements
REM
Goo Goo Dolls (Hold me up and SCW were the best albums, but they started in the 80's()
Jane's Addiction

Not a big fan of the hair bands though, they all sound the same to me

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

I've always considered 80s pop and rock to be pretty seriously underrated. There were a lot of great songs. As newdawnfades has pointed out, it was a very song-driven scene, and for me that makes the 80s very like the 60s...sort of "the 60s with a lot of synths and electronic drums".

The 80s music is my wife's favorite music scene, so we listen to a lot of things from that time. I loved the Police's early 80s stuff, R.E.M., and of course don't get me started on U2 which is one of my 3 all time favorite bands. The Genesis and Phil Collins stuff from the 80s was just stellar, in my opinion.

A lot of 70s talent did some of their best work in that decade. Springsteen has already been mentioned. I also think of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as being of the 80s, even though they started out in the mid-70s. Steve Winwood (who goes all the way back to the mid 60s) did several great records, including his blockbuster Back in the High Life album in the 80s (and that's one really great album).

Yes did 90125 and Big Generator in that decade. They scored their one and only #1 hit single with "Owner of a Lonely Heart". 90125 was actually a very influential album that contributed in a crucial way to what ended up being the "80s sound".

Tears For Fears did two monumental albums in the 80s, Songs from the Big Chair and Seeds of Love. And like was said earlier, lots of really great one-hit-wonders.

Last edited:

DavidGilmour96

Long Live Rock!
Reaction score

My favorite 80's bands would probably range from Def Leppard to Journey and I also like The Cars, so yeah 80's has a lot of cheese but also some great stuff, so yeah in a way it can be considered underated but still not as influental as the 60's.

Big Generator

Reaction score

Reverend Rock said:
Yes did 90125 and Big Generator in that decade. They scored their one and only #1 hit single with "Owner of a Lonely Heart". 90125 was actually a very influential album that contributed in a crucial way to what ended up being the "80s sound".

That's so true, Reverend. Trevor Horn's production on that record definitely represents a pivotal moment in 80s music - and Yes aren't given nearly enough credit for how ground-breaking and inflential they were in this decade. 90125 was such a mind-blowing record when it came out and it still sounds more inventive, dynamic and expensive than any big-budget record released twenty years on.

Yes have often been criticized for 'selling-out' in the 1980s - but I reckon 90125 and Big Generator were just as progressive and radical as their early 1970s albums - if not more so.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

Big Generator said:
Yes, Simple Minds were great....definitely the most grandiose UK of the 1980s...slightly proggy, too?
Yeah, I liked 'em...great band, songs and Jim Kerr's voice....wow!
a few more favorites of the time were some songs by Nick Kershaw, Paul Young, Madonna, Prince, Journey,The Firm,John Cougar Mellancamp,ACDC,RHCP and too many more too remember right now.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online