Epica (Official Thread)

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
^ There's been a progression from the early albums, but not so much that they're unrecognizable. Still a very strong similarity.

It will be interesting to hear where they go on the new album.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Indeed, it's funny Epica was one of the bands I recommended to Magic years ago as an entry into the gothic metal universe, now she's got more gothic metal than I do.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I figure them as symphonic metal, but those two are probably really close at times.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^They can fit into either classification, I tend to forget all the subtle differences in the metal universe at times.:peek

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not gothic metal, symphonic metal definitely to me anyway.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Isn't a band Symphonic more because of the style or Gothic more because of the theme?

Again, not black & white, but that's the way it seems to me.

I gave Design Your Universe a listen this afternoon. Still my favorite Epica album by a ways. They're all great of course.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its Symphonic Metal simply put because it has Symphonic elements and atmosphere in the music. lol Gothic may have some relevance in there but the fact is its just symphonic metal. Just call it that.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Oh I'm not saying Epica is anything other than symphonic metal, just trying to understand what makes some groups what they are.

Epica has the strongest symphonic metal feel of most of the bands I own albums by, outside of Tarja era Nightwish.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think they incorporate more than just Symphonic, they have Gothic and Progressive elements as well.

Not to belabor the point, but every piece of music today can be said to have "symphonic elements", but I understand why certain metal bands are considered in that light.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its that the labels are just not necessary. Just keep it simple as either gothic or symphonic. Too many people create sub sub genres in metal as it is. lol

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online