Elliott Smith (Official Thread)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Re: Elliott Smith

Elliott Smith's day of his death is coming up in a week or so:

Smith died on October 21, 2003, at age 34 from two stab wounds to the chest.[2] At the time of the stabbing, he was at his Lemoyne Street home in Echo Park, California,[63] where he lived with his girlfriend, Jennifer Chiba. According to Chiba, the two were arguing,[35] and she locked herself in the bathroom to take a shower.[64] Chiba heard him scream, and upon opening the door, saw Smith standing with a knife in his chest. She pulled the knife out, after which he collapsed and she called 9-1-1. Smith died in the hospital with the time of death listed as 1:36 p.m. While Smith's death was originally reported as a suicide, the official autopsy report released in December 2003 left open the question of possible homicide.[2] A possible suicide note, written on a Post-it, read, "I'm so sorry—love, Elliott. God forgive me."[2] The coroner's report had the name Elliott misspelled as "Elliot," however "a coroner's official told TSG that Smith's first name was misspelled in the report," not on the Post-it note.[2]
According to Pitchfork Media, record producer Larry Crane reported on his Tape Op message board that he had planned to help Smith mix his album in mid-November. Crane wrote, "I hadn't talked to Elliott in over a year. His girlfriend, Jennifer, called me [last week] and asked if I'd like to come to L.A. and help mix and finish [Smith's album]. I said yes, of course, and chatted with Elliott for the first time in ages. It seems surreal that he would call me to finish an album and then a week later kill himself. I talked to Jennifer this morning, who was obviously shattered and in tears, and she said, 'I don't understand, he was so healthy.'"[65]
The coroner's report revealed that no traces of illegal substances or alcohol were found in his system at the time of his death, but did find prescribed levels of antidepressant, anxiolytic and ADHD medications in his system, including Clonazepam, Mirtazapine, Atomoxetine and Amphetamine.[66] Also, no hesitation wounds were found on Smith, a trait typical of suicide by self infliction.[35] With his death not being officially declared a suicide, a journalist noted that some have suspected foul play,[67] but also that the authorities do not seem to be investigating the case further.[68] Smith's body was cremated.[69] No public burial site or memorial was ever formally announced.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Smith

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Album highlight

From The Basement On The Hill

61G87G0HF5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

From The Basement On The Hill in my opinion is one of Elliott's more "soulful" albums. Especially since this album includes "A Fond Farewell" in which he sings in 3rd person about himself. If you read the lyrics, you'll notice he is talking about a friend, but he is talking about himself:

The dying man in a living room
Whose shadow paces the floor
Who'll take you out in the open door
This is not my life
It's just a fond farewell to a friend
It's not what I'm like
It's just a fond farewell to a friend
Who couldn't get things right
Fond farewell to a friend

A lot of Elliott's songs were very sad and depressing, but he expressed them and sung them so well that you wouldn't think he was a depressed person. He had a lot of problems with alcohol and paranoia that led him into a deep dark void. His music is a representation of that. This album really shows his sad side in a variety of different ways. I wish I would have known about his music when this album was released, I would have been given opportunities to see him perform some of the songs live. Unfortunately, it was too late that I got into his music. It's been a long time since i've really been attached to an artist as much as I am attached to Smith. I listen to his music more than I do any other artist right now, and this album is a regular listen more so than a lot of his work. A brilliant man, and it makes me sad to know that he is no longer on Earth making brilliant music.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Ballad Of A Big Nothing

Studio & Live Version

throwing candy out to the crowd
dragging down the main
the helpless little thing with the dirty mouth
who's always got something to say
you're sitting around at home now waiting for your brother to call
I saw him down at the alley
having had enough of it all

said you can do what you want to whenever you want to
you can do what you want to there's no one to stop you

all spit and spite you're up all night and down every day
a tired man with only hours to go just waiting to be taken away
getting in to the back of a car for candy from some stranger
watching the parade with pinpoint eyes full of smoldering anger

you can do what you want to whenever you want to
you can do what you want to there's no one to stop you
now you can do what you want to whenever you want to
do what you want to whenever you want to

do what you want to whenever you want tothough it doesn't mean a thing, big nothing

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Tomorrow is the day back in 2003 when Elliott Smith was said to have committed suicide by two stab wounds to the chest. i can only imagine how different the music world would be if he were still making his music. one of the most phenomenal songwriters to ever walk the earth.

A Fond Farewell is a song off of his "From The Basement On The Hill" release where he is saying goodbye to himself in 3rd person. He is talking about saying goodbye to a friend, though he is only speaking of himself:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands
2:45 AM

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Steven Paul "Elliott" Smith

IMG_0998.jpeg

I often think about how much of an impact Elliott would have on the music industry and music in general had he still been alive to this day.
His music grabbed hold of millions of hearts, and continues to speak to them even in his grave.
His lyrics are soul-ful, and you can feel his love and pain throughout each song he produced.

It's sad to think, that regardless of how successful you are in what you love to do,
a deep depression and hatred can end you so quickly, giving up everything you put your heart into.

Even me personally, for not being a fan of his for that long of a time, his music has taken grasp of me very quickly, and I grew to love him more and more the quickest that I have ever fallen in love with an artists music.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Found out today that Elliott Smith had a few books written:

5120Ldeh1FL._SS400_.jpg

"In Autumn de Wilde's remarkable photographs and conversations with close friends, family, and musicians he inspired, this is the first and only portrait of the beloved and troubled singer/songwriter by those who knew him well."

Source: http://www.amazon.com/Elliott-Smith-Autumn-Wilde/dp/0811857999/ref=pd_sim_b_1

icker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

"Drawing on new interviews with those who knew and loved Smith, and focusing on the crucial interplay between Smith's life and music, Ben Nugent compellingly and sympathetically portrays an enormously gifted, yet troubled, artist."

Source: Amazon.com: Elliott Smith and the Big Nothing (9780306814471): Benjamin Nugent: Books

Looks like i've got a few purchases to make in the near future.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Such a beautiful song.

Everything Reminds Me of Her

Heedblerk

Reaction score
The albums I have are his first one, XO and Figure 8 - Just Somebody That I Used To Know being my favourite thus far.

Great artist!

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Allow me to introduce: The Elliott Smith String Quartet Tribute

51owFmET7VL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

full album

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member