Eddie Van Halen named "Greatest guitarist of all time" by Guitar World

Khor1255

Reaction score
No. Not even close. But to be fair, when I was a kid I was the guy saying Randy Rhodes was better than Hendrix. Live and learn I guess.

Also:

And even:

Virtuosity my friend. It means having a variety of musical strengths.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
No. Not even close. But to be fair, when I was a kid I was the guy saying Randy Rhodes was better than Hendrix. Live and learn I guess.

Also:

And even:

Virtuosity my friend. It means having a variety of musical strengths.

Since you clearly do not know the definition of virtuosity I thought I'd post this for you.

vir·tu·os·i·ty noun \-ˈä-sə-tē\
plural vir·tu·os·i·ties

Definition of VIRTUOSITY

: a taste for or interest in virtu
: great technical skill (as in the practice of a fine art)

See virtuosity defined for English-language learners »
See virtuosity defined for kids »
Examples of VIRTUOSITY

Her virtuosity on the piano is amazing.

That being said. Jimi Hendrix was not a better guitarist than Paul Gilbert or Chris Borderick when it comes to technical skill. Was he extremely innovative? Yes. High influential? yes he is. great song writer? that is subjective, to some yes to others no.

Clearly you have your own definition of virtuosity and own ideas what makes someone a great guitarist. Huge difference between someone being a great guitarist and great composer. Some happen to be both. Again technical skill, most players today far exceed the old generation you and the rest of this forum pine over.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything on those tracks that illustrates anything other than one trick pony hot dogging. The one dude who could actually play very well wasn't even on the initial list and all of the others would likely be lost without their electronic toys when compared to any 4th year Julliard student of actual guitar playing.

This isn't a matter of taste it is a matter of actual technical proficiency in a variety of musical applications.

Or put another way, would you consider someone like Dave Gilmore or Eric Clapton a virtuoso? And remember, technical skill doesn't only mean the ability to play fast, it also implies playing well in a variety of styles, tempos and compositional parameters.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything on those tracks that illustrates anything other than one trick pony hot dogging. The one dude who could actually play very well wasn't even on the initial list and all of the others would likely be lost without their electronic toys when compared to any 4th year Julliard student of actual guitar playing.

This isn't a matter of taste it is a matter of actual technical proficiency in a variety of musical applications.

Or put another way, would you consider someone like Dave Gilmore or Eric Clapton a virtuoso? And remember, technical skill doesn't only mean the ability to play fast, it also implies playing well in a variety of styles, tempos and compositional parameters.

:oyea:

Paul Gilbert is lost with out his electronic toy. half the guitarists on the list wouldnt be on there with out their electronic toys.:wank:

I love how you assume because they shred they are hot dogging and cant play anything else. That is just an asinine assumption.

Being a technical guitarist can mean many things, I'm aware of that one thank you. It can mean:

Fast playing capability, sight-reading skills, knowledge of advanced jazz chords, mastering electronics and ambient sound textures, ability to improvise in a variety of styles, use of extensive chromaticism, exploration into non-western tonal centers and non-traditional music scales, classical guitar-style playing where you are expected to play the melody, harmony and supporting bass lines within the context of a unified composition.

So in that regard. No I do not consider Clapton or Gilmore virtuoso's. Clapton may have been at one point, but again guitar playing evolved past what he was doing into something more. Love his playing on Crossroads, but nothing special now. Gilmore, no way. I love his solo's especially on Time, Money, and Comfortably Numb (duh) and love Wish You Were Here, but no way.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Well, then you are just plain wrong. If you don't at least consider Gilmore a virtuoso it is you who have no idea what the term means.

Enjoy that.

I do concede that I was wrong when I said ALL the others. But you are wrong on general principle.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Well, then you are just plain wrong. If you don't at least consider Gilmore a virtuoso it is you who have no idea what the term means.

Enjoy that.

I do concede that I was wrong when I said ALL the others. But you are wrong on general principle.

Actually I know what the term means hence me saying he's not a virtuoso. :cheers2:wank:

Khor1255

Reaction score
Apparently. And it seems some folks think that is the only thing necessary to being a good guitar player. No wonder shit sounds like it does today.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online