Dusty Springfield (Official Thread)

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
This thread in honour of 11 years without Dusty. I love you, always, forever.

Wiki Link

1964 – A Girl Called Dusty
1965 – Ev'rything's Coming Up Dusty
1967 – Where Am I Going?
1968 – Dusty... Definitely
1969 – Dusty in Memphis
1970 – A Brand New Me
1972 – See All Her Faces
1973 – Cameo
1978 – It Begins Again
1979 – Living Without Your Love
1982 – White Heat
1990 – Reputation
1995 – A Very Fine Love

Mary Isabel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien was born on April 16th, 1939 in West Hampstead, (greater) London, England to an Irish Roman Catholic Family. Since she was a bit of a tomboy in her youth, she earned her nickname of "Dusty". From an early age she was fascinated with music; her vocal influences included the likes of jazz musicians Peggy Lee and Jo Stafford. Her father encouraged her to recognize musical pieces since her early childhood.

In 1950, when she was only 11, she cut her first record, covering Irving Berlin's
"When the Midnight Choo Choo Leaves for Alabam". When she finished school in 1958, she responded to an advertisement calling for members of a vocal group; there she learned to harmonize and take control over her voice. She also played, with a group called The Lana Sisters, both in the UK and US air force bases. She also did some recording with the group, before leaving to form the Springfields, with her brother Dion, and another young man.

In 1960, the trio relocated to Nashville, TN, to record what they felt would be a more American-oriented record. This record was called "Folk Songs From the Hills", which spawned a top 5 (in the UK) single called "Say I Won't Be There". The Springfields disbanded in 1963.

Establishing herself as a northern soul singer, Dusty recorded her first solo single, "I Only Want to Be With You" (which has been covered by the likes of the Bay City Rollers, Samantha Fox, and many others since) in late 1963. It made #4 in the British chart, and #13 in the US charts. It was also the first record to be played on legendary British programme Top of the Pops.

That single, with several covers of Dusty's favourite singers at the time, including "Mama Said" (The Shirelles) and "You Don't Own Me" (Lesley Gore) appeared on her first solo record, "A Girl Called Dusty". Two tracks penned by Burt Bacharach, "I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself" (UK #3) and "Wishin' and Hopin'" (US top ten) were recorded in 1964.

That same year, she was voted as the Top Female British Artist in a poll conducted by the New Musical Express, topping the list with the likes of Cilla Black, Sandie Shaw, and Lulu. She received the same honour in 1965.

In 1965 Dusty acted on her love for motown, recording "Wishin' and Hopin'" and starring on a televised special (via "Ready, Steady, Go!") called The Sound of Motown, alongside Motown legends Martha Reeves, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, The Supremes, and Smokey Robinson.

In 1968, Dusty recorded "Dusty In Memphis", turning over one of her best known singles, "Son of a Preacher Man", which reached #10 in Britain, America, and Austria; it was #3 in Sweden. Surprisingly it rated as #96 in a list of the United States' most popular songs of 1969.

dusty_springfield_dusty_in_memphis.jpg

Dusty saw a lack of commercial success between 1969 and 1986, and once recorded with the Pet Shop Boys in 1987 in their song "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" (#2 in Britain and America). Her 1990 album, "Reputation" depended heavily on this success with the Boys. Because she had left California (where she had lived since 1983) by this time, most of the writing and music credits went to the Boys, largely due to the fact that she was again living in Britain by 1988.

In 1994 Dusty began recording a record by the name of "A Very Fine Love". It was during this time that she began to feel very sick. She was diagnosed with breast cancer. In 1995, after a series of many radiation sessions, it appeared that her illness was in remission, and she seemed to be in good health. That year she began to promote her new album, and she was featured on British TV programme "Later, With Jools Holland" with her song "Where is a Woman to Go?" Backing her up with vocals were Sinead O'Connor and Alison Moyet (Yazoo).

During this time would come the last song she would ever record in a studio, "Someone to Watch Over Me". Her last live performance, in December of 1995, would be on "The Christmas With Michael Ball". The following summer, her cancer was again detected and would soon claim her life. Despite much more treatment to combat the illness, Dusty died on March 2nd, 1999 - the day she was to travel to the Buckingham Palace to be honourably crowned with an award as official of the Order of the British Empire (OBE).

Ten days after her passing she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Kind words of Dusty were spoken by the likes of Sir Elton John, Elvis Costello, Lulu, and of course, the Pet Shop Boys.

Dusty is remembered fondly for being a woman with a unique sense of humour, a strong love for animals (especially cats), and a sultry voice to be recognized and loved by many for years to come.

Darker sides of Dusty include controversy over her sexuality, and a track record of hospitalizations occurring from self-harm, alcoholism, and other forms of substance abuse.

dusty-springfield.jpg

Dusty+Springfield.jpg

With my utmost adoration and love for one of the most beautiful, talented, and incredible women of popular music, this thread's for Dusty.

Comments/pictures/videos/thoughts/other pieces of information are greatly welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Dusty Springfield

I was never a huge fan of Dusty's but that was a very well written OP Lady.

I do remember the songs you have all posted, and of course the controversy about her sexual preferences and addiction troubles, didn't realize it has been 11 years since she passed away.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.