Drifting Sun

driftingsun

Reaction score
and here's what you don't wanna miss :) Another full-blown track from our second album "On the Rebound"

As always, your comments are welcome (well... ANY comment is welcome, so far in the month or so we have been posting news and links to our stuff, and not a single person has had anything to say about what we do?... OMINOUS haha)

Anyway... for those of you who are watching quietly in the background, we hope you enjoy the song lol

https://driftingsun.bandcamp.com/track/minstrel

Khor1255

Reaction score
Just listened to three of the Youtube pieces starting with two short instrumentals then one average (4 minute and something) length song. I have to say I am for the most part really impressed. It is artfully done yet not pretentious. Has good musicianship but doesn't hit you over the head with everyone hotdogging to prove they can play while ignoring the complimentary nature of making a song work with a group of musicians.

That said, it wasn't all rainbows and unicorns for me. I sincerely hope this critique is taken in the constructive manner it is intended because I would like to see groups like this dominate at least niche markets these days instead of the less is more and let's shoehorn in various styles that don't really fit together tripe that passes for popular music these days.

My problem is largely with the production and it begins and mainly stays with how the vocals are handled. Now, the singing is ok (I'll have to listen to quite a bit more to give a full evaluation here but it is definitely serviceable considering the rest of the music's quality is such that decent vocals are good enough to make these songs great) but the way it is produced does not sound organic to the song. It sounds almost too clear (and this is a problem with most of today's production techniques anyway so it isn't that your particular production is exceptionally bad but could stand some better mixing in with the rest of the instruments). When there are choruses present it is especially off putting to me but bear in mind this is kind of a matter of taste and some folks seem to like disembodied voices.

I will listen to more of this group for sure. Believe me, coming from me that is a huge compliment because I can count on one hand the number of today's bands I am interested in and still have a finger or two left.

Good job guys and thank you for turning me on to this.

driftingsun

Reaction score
Hi Khor, insightful and interesting comments about the songs, thanks! Yes, I get your point about how the vocals blend in with the music, or rather stand out, and this actually became more obvious at the mastering stage. We favored one engineer over another for the better clarity in the music, but it is true that the vocals do jump out a bit in places... I hope that the mixes still stand on their own though and that it won't put people off too much, as you said it is very much a style issue here.

Please keep posted on here or our website for news, we're working on the next album at the moment so hopefully there will be more from us soon!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Staff online

Members online