Does what a band wears/looks like matter?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
KISS = party band. Everyone likes to party. I think even KISS's stage image spells out 'costume party'.

I think if the artist or band is trying to portray a visual image that matches the musical style, then what they wear would matter. For example, Janis Joplin, whom we all know was gruff and her blues style music was chaotic. If she would have dressed like a "princess" her music would not have had the same impact.

The Freak

The Freak
Reaction score
I want to say no, it doesn't matter but truthfully it probably does. It's what the marketing men call image. Not having an image is an image in itself. Even Punk became a fashion. How much it influences me now I'm not so sure about but first impressions etc...

Khor1255

Reaction score
Yea, but the thing with KISS is, their music is neither deep or thought provoking.

They'd never admit it, of course, but I'm pretty sure the visual was to kind of gloss over the fact that their songwriting and musicianship is average.

Even fans like myself will admit that KISS' lyrics aren't what anyone would call thought provoking.

I'm also not foolish enough to think their songs are, musically, jaw dropping, complex arrangements.

But, they've sold, what, almost 100,000,000 records? That's success, no matter what angle you look at it.
Well, the good thing about rock and roll is that it doesn't have to be deep or thought provoking to kick ass. And on their early albums (thanks to Ace and Peter Criss in no small part) kick ass they did. Songs like Black Diamond, Goin Blind, 100,000 Years etc weren't exactly deep but they were as gritty and pulse pounding as it has ever got.

I'm not going to make excuses for their later bubblegum crap but those first three albums (except by production standards) have absolute rock and roll gems on them.

snake666

Reaction score
278809.jpg

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Well, the good thing about rock and roll is that it doesn't have to be deep or thought provoking to kick ass. And on their early albums (thanks to Ace and Peter Criss in no small part) kick ass they did. Songs like Black Diamond, Goin Blind, 100,000 Years etc weren't exactly deep but they were as gritty and pulse pounding as it has ever got.

I'm not going to make excuses for their later bubblegum crap but those first three albums (except by production standards) have absolute rock and roll gems on them.

Oh, I agree 100%.

I love KISS, always have. I own a large chunk of their stuff, and doubt I'll ever part with it.

I wasn't crazy about the MTV years, and I've never owned anything from the Animalize / Hot In The Shade years. It wasn't all bad. It just seemed kinda blah.

I think I had a mild coronary the first time I saw Paul Stanley with satin gloves with mini Bon Jovi-type tassles on them. Or Gene Simmons with an Olivia Newton John headband. The thing was glittery, for pete's sake.

So, in reference to this thread, I'd have to admit, the way they looked on those covers may have had something to do with it, actually.

The music, ultimately, was the decider for me, though. Asylum is a great cd, Big drums, big bass, big vocals (one of Paul Stanley's finest works, I think)even with Paul Stanley's white go-go boots.

The rock writers seem to buy it, to an extent. Look when they released Revenge. Back to the black leather, and they hailed it as the return of the prodigal sons.

The album itself was a little rougher around the edges, and did have a harder edge, but it was the look that got most the attention.

Khor1255

Reaction score
They are trying. I'll have to give them that. A lot of bands of their status would be content to rest on their laurels but Kiss does try to recapture something of what really made them great. And I'm not talking about the look here.

I can understand the appeal of the 80s stuff and I've tried to get into anything passed Love Gun but I just can't. But if all they ever released was the first three albums and the live album they would still have a prominent place in my record collection.

God love my wife for putting up with my frequent spinning of the early albums. Production wise they are very lacking and it is not at all the kind of music she likes but that kind of blues referenced hard rock has always been dynamite to me.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
God love my wife for putting up with my frequent spinning of the early albums.

I'll relate something here. We're watching the Grammys, and when Tupak was up there and KISS walked out in full battle gear, I turn to my wife and said:

"I don't care what the tickets cost, I'm going"

She never even looked up from her book and said:

"I know".

Suffer the wives of KISS fans.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to me it doesn't. Music always comes first.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online

No members online now.