Dire Straits to Play Rock Hall Induction Without Mark Knopfler

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Musicians Refused to Induct Dire Straits Into the Rock Hall Because Mark Knopfler Didn’t Come

Story

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Keyboard player Alan Clark did not notice David Knopfler's absence:

"The final Straitsman who attended the ceremony, keyboardist Alan Clark, is a bit more laid-back about the whole situation. “A great time was had by all. Except Mark who, as you’re probably aware, stayed at home,” he wrote on his blog."

I haven't seen mention of their best musician, Terry Williams, in the context of the induction.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
It's just ridiculous. The same, as if it was Sabbath without Iommi or Zeppelin without Page... Or The Stones without Jagger.

Roxi

Reaction score
Perhaps for part of the journey, although my guess is that he does not live in the UK. In any case, I meant it figuratively.
I think Mark Knopfler does live in the UK; there's no reports of him having relocated to the US or anywhere else. I know he is a big supporter of his football club Newcastle United F.C. I doubt if he'd be that fussed about traveling from somewhere in the US to Ohio, but apparently the trans-Atlantic travel arrangements were promised to him and then the RnR Hall people reneged on the deal.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
^ None of the big earners live in the UK, because of the tax laws. He may have a home(s) here, in bricks and mortar, and may be here for a few weeks of the year, but that's all.

From the government tax office (which is reliable). Notice the 'UK residence and tax' and 'Work out your residence status' paragraphs: https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence

On the above page, a link takes you to the non-domiciled page: https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/non-domiciled-residents

Tyneside and the north-east is traditionally an area of poverty and Knopfler was living in southern England before Dire Straits broke through. I think he was briefly in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, with a band called Brewer's Droop.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online