Dick Dale. Proto-metal?

Would you place Dick Dale in the prto-metal sub-genre?

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • WTF! You must be joking.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I say a very definite NO. Sure he and Link Wray bumped up the guitar sound
and are part of the evolution that eventually led to Metal down the road a piece but that in itself does not a proto-metal make.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
not really but I can see why he would be considered proto-metal.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
To me saying Dick Dale is Proto-Metal is like saying Jazz is Proto. I'm quite sure Jazz has had a MUCH bigger direct influence on metal then Dick Dale ever did.

joe

Reaction score
Hmm Dick Dale does have a "chugga chugga " style riff going in bony maronie........some say the pioneer of proto metal was Mr Twang himself....LINK WRAY....What you think ? :grinthumb

I was thinking along the same lines LOU. Who's next? Fats Domino.:heheh:

I said yes with the same reason as this thread was made by the way. :heheh:

From what I can see in these proto-metal discussions that you're opinions have been basically been irrelevent. However I do respect them. Or Do I? Bwahahaha

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Dick Dale and The Del-Tones (Greatest Hits) were one of the classic albums I stumbled on to when I was in High School when I was really big into surf instros. I lucked out landing in Austin in the early 80's when SRV was building up steam, and he always talked about Dick on stage. It was great to hear the duo do The Chantay's Pipeline..(this isn't my favorite video btw, just didn't find a decent one..)

I never really considered Dick Dale as proto Metal. A lot of double picking and quick slides always had me placing him in the category with Link Wray, Man Or Astro-Man, The Mono-Men, Reverend Horton Heat, Supersuckers, etc.

Kinda Psycho-billy/punk-o-billy for lack of a better term.

A couple more faves for me were

Ghost Riders

Bandito

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah I think proto is too strong a term for Dick. But that's what I'm really saying..like Wolf followed up. It was a chain of events. He played darker music, fast, almost thrash for it's time...the picking is amazing as well as the overdrive.

There's no doubt that he was going for something "heavy" even though "metal" wasn't in the picture yet.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Yeah I think proto is too strong a term for Dick. But that's what I'm really saying..like Wolf followed up. It was a chain of events. He played darker music, fast, almost thrash for it's time...the picking is amazing as well as the overdrive.

There's no doubt that he was going for something "heavy" even though "metal" wasn't in the picture yet.

Agreed , Sir! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah I may have jumped the gun on my vote. Even in the past I may not have explained myself right or thought it through better. So in the end, I'm gonna leave it at that. He was heavy. Did he inspire? Sure.

Metal itself was a ways off. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online