1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Def Leppard (Official Thread)

Discussion in '80's Music' started by METALPRIEST, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Ya well now have gotton thier 2nd album,I would say THATS MUCH BETTER!!

I read they started changing thier music style (Less hard) with Pyromania,it just isnt as good..........

The only song I had heard off HIGH AND DRY (Before I got the record) is "Bringing on the heartbreak" but the whole album kicks ass!!!!!!! -- I would love getting the first one also!!! (Dunno if I ever heard any off that one but I probably have)

2. Khor1255

Khor1255 Senior Member

Well, you either like raw rock or you don't. But Pyromania lost a lot of the uniqueness of a Def Leppard album and traded it for industry cliche.

3. Riff Raff

Riff Raff The Kevin Owens Show Staff Member

I would say Hysteria really took that to extremes.

4. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

It's funny you call early Def Lepp raw rock. When I think of raw rock, I think punk or garage rock.

I really don't understand what people mean when they say "industry cliche" or "commercial formula" when it pertains to an album or more specifically a song. IMO either it sells or it doesn't. Just because it's a top selling hit, does that mean they have sold out to an industry cliche or a commercial formula?

I think back to the 80's when we were first hearing these albums and songs, and I don't recall EVER thinking or saying "it's cliche therefore it sucks". I just remember the songs being fun and common listening material at parties and get togethers. We didn't analyze the music, instead we danced and had a good time listening to the music.

Honestly, Pyromania / Hysteria is still relevant today. 30 years later, and kids are still going crazy over Rock of Ages and Love Bites. Def Leppard musta did something right!....lol.

Nothing wrong with a lil pop metal :flirt

5. Riff Raff

Riff Raff The Kevin Owens Show Staff Member

Not at all and whilst I think Hysteria is incredibly overrated it does boast some good songs its just I prefer the harder edge of albums like Pyromania and even before that with High N Dry.

6. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

I knew what you meant, Riffy. I had to razz you a bit:D

Most of these 80's bands were completely formulaic and strived for a sound that would appeal to the masses. However, I take the music for what it is and don't over analyze it. Def Leppard just happens to be one of the better bands to come out of that era.

7. hairmetalmusic.com

hairmetalmusic.com www.hairmetalmusic.com

Love their early work. Bringing on the Heartbreak - magical. Let It Go - awesome. All of Pyromania works. We understand why people love Hysteria...but we weren't big fans of them going the pop-rock route.

8. RockshotsPhotos

RockshotsPhotos Senior Member

Def Leppard "On Through The Night" Tour 1980 Philadelphia Spectrum (c)Bill O'Leary

DefLeppard(8-1--1980(c)BillO'Leary)007.jpg

Sharp Dressed Man likes this.
  9. RockshotsPhotos

RockshotsPhotos Senior Member

Def Leppard "On Through The Night" Tour 1980 Palladium Theater, NYC (c)Bill O'Leary

DefLeppard(8-1--1980(c)BillO'Leary)014.jpg

10. Cozy 4ever

Cozy 4ever Member

I used to have neurological problems in my arms and I had to retrain myself to play without any help...can't even begin to tell you how grateful I am for a hero like Rick Allen :tm: