Deep Purple (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Deep Purple

I am not familiar with Purpendicular Aeroplane...but getting it as a free selection from your music club is cool.:D

Was Steve Morse the guitarist on that one?

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score

I am not familiar with Purpendicular Aeroplane...but getting it as a free selection from your music club is cool.:D

Was Steve Morse the guitarist on that one?

Yes, he was. That was his debut with them. Steve's playing was pretty darn good. The first four opening tracks are sizzling, IMO. The album even has a hidden track (full length) after the last song.

Honestly, I've listened to very little of the early Purple stuff (pre-80's), outside of the classics. So I couldn't give you an accurate breakdown as to how Purpendicular compares to the old stuff from start to finish. At least from my own ears.

However, the "critics" that I saw review the album remarked that Morse's playing was more inspired and experimental than what Blackmore had been doing in his recent years with Purple. Martin Popoff raved about it, IIRC.

I'd suggest listening to one or two of those first four songs from Purpendicular. Titles are: Ted the Mechanic, Loosen my Strings, Soon Forgotten and Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming. Maybe you won't like them but perhaps you'll be surprised at how good the songs are, like I was.

Ted was "supposed" to be the rock radio single. Loosen is a ballad. Forgotten has some excellent organs and Screaming is occasionally played live by Purple.

If I wasn't at the office right now, I'd be happy to direct you to a link or two for these tunes. Just haven't got enough "in-between" time here :rolleyes:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Plenty of time, this thread isn't going anywhere.

I know Steve Morse from Dixie Dregs, and at first I was surprised when I found out he was in DP, but according to all the things I've read and heard, including a stupendously successful world tour a couple of years ago, he is a great fit with the band.

Early Purple will always be my favorite, but I am open to the later material as well.:cheers:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I saw Purple live with Steve Morse and they definitely kicked some booty. That said I don't like the Morse era material anywhere near as much as the older stuff. Abandon is quite good however and do like the others just not near .

MII and MIII are by far the best, IMO.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Hey it's a drive by visit from my favorite Wolf...:D

I bet Steve Morse and the current band play a lot of their older songs live DKW, I have never seen them live and don't think they will tour here either in the near future.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Hey it's a drive by visit from my favorite Wolf...:D

I bet Steve Morse and the current band play a lot of their older songs live DKW, I have never seen them live and don't think they will tour here either in the near future.

Yeah, at least half the songs they play live are from the Blackmore era .
I have seen them live twice with Steve and he is an outstanding player,
there is certainly no doubt about that.
Blackmore, just has a great sound and feel in his playing that can not be replaced IMO.

Like I said, I do really like a lot of the newer/ Steve Morse stuff. Just not near as much.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Rapture Of The Deep

I like both line ups and both are great live, but I agree with Wolf there is something special about Ritchie s' sound.:grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic2010

Reaction score

Never been a huge DP fan but I've gone on a few Purple binges in the last 10 years or so. I saw them in 2001. I knew Steve Morse was in the band but I had not heard any of the albums he was in up to that point. I honestly have to say I dig this version of DP a lot more than Mark II. The show I attended produced a DVD titled "Perehelion."

51JBHR528SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pretty good DVD. I especially love the jamming and dualing between Jon Lord and Steve Morse. Highly recommended DVD.

:tup:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score

Plenty of time, this thread isn't going anywhere.

I know Steve Morse from Dixie Dregs, and at first I was surprised when I found out he was in DP, but according to all the things I've read and heard, including a stupendously successful world tour a couple of years ago, he is a great fit with the band.

Early Purple will always be my favorite, but I am open to the later material as well.:cheers:

Here's ya are! Tuneage from the Purple album "Purpendicular" w/Morse.

Soon Forgotten

Loosen My Strings

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Thanks Aeroplane.:cheers:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members