Deep Purple (Official Thread)

Marbles

Reaction score
From what I read recently the only member of Purple he stayed in contact with was Jon Lord, for some reason Ritchie got along with him and they socialized regularly.

I believe that was true - but then Gentleman Jon was a very tolerant man. He spoke not long before he died about having dinner with Ritchie. I think that Ritchie respected Jon's classical training and his ability to act as a foil to almost anything that Blackmore threw at him when soloing.

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
:bump: from page 4, Been a Purple fan since like age 14, my first Purple album was Deep Purple/Deep Purple 1969 (still have it) it's on the Tetragrammaton (T-119) label, it's a single album but it opens like a book, the album slides in from the inside instead of the outer edge. I've read that it's valuable, not many were pressed on that label because the label went bankrupt shortly after DP/DP was released. Anyway, I love the Purple, especially the Glover/Gillan era stuff, hence, the user name. I always found it hard to believe that they went from songs like April and Lalena, to Speed King, Child in Time, and Hard Lovin' Man in just one short year.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Blackmore has always been a strange sort, I remember when I saw him with Deep Purple and the band came on at the end to bow and thank everyone and Richie didn't come out with them. He was spotted by a spotlight running on the stage to pick his guitar up. That was just before he left Purple for the last time.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Indeed Master Wharfedale Ritchie is a full blown eccentric, maybe even a 'guitar diva'. :gig

:bump: from page 4, Been a Purple fan since like age 14, my first Purple album was Deep Purple/Deep Purple 1969 (still have it) it's on the Tetragrammaton (T-119) label, it's a single album but it opens like a book, the album slides in from the inside instead of the outer edge. I've read that it's valuable, not many were pressed on that label because the label went bankrupt shortly after DP/DP was released. Anyway, I love the Purple, especially the Glover/Gillan era stuff, hence, the user name. I always found it hard to believe that they went from songs like April and Lalena, to Speed King, Child in Time, and Hard Lovin' Man in just one short year.

That's cool Speed King that you kept that album all these years. Is it in good condition, by that I mean the vinyl itself? Rare albums are valuable to collectors but only if the contents are playable along with the original artwork and everything being in good shape.

Speed King

Reaction score
That's cool Speed King that you kept that album all these years. Is it in good condition, by that I mean the vinyl itself? Rare albums are valuable to collectors but only if the contents are playable along with the original artwork and everything being in good shape.

The disc itself is mint, played maybe 3 or 4 times by me (then prompted put on cassette). I bought the album around 1987ish so it was already pretty old. It's the cover that shows the usual signs of wear on the outside, the cresent moon shaped wear marks on the top and bottom from being stored in a vertical stack of other albums. The binding is what took the most abuse, being that the cover has to open flat (180degs.) in order to remove the disc.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The disc itself is mint, played maybe 3 or 4 times by me (then prompted put on cassette). I bought the album around 1987ish so it was already pretty old. It's the cover that shows the usual signs of wear on the outside, the cresent moon shaped wear marks on the top and bottom from being stored in a vertical stack of other albums. The binding is what took the most abuse, being that the cover has to open flat (180degs.) in order to remove the disc.

I'll take the vinyl being 'near mint' and a shabby jacket anytime over a shiny jacket and damaged record.

If you play albums there is no way to avoid wear and tear even if you treat them gently and get plastic sleeves to protect them. I used to think CD's would last forever, then it turns out they got their estimates wrong and the materials they use oxidize a lot faster than anyone thought initially. If you want to keep something on CD for a long time you need the Gold reference ones, they are archive quality. (Or even better the ceramic discs available now will almost last forever, but you have to play them with your PC I don't think a stereo component CD player is compatible.)

Speed King

Reaction score
I'll take the vinyl being 'near mint' and a shabby jacket anytime over a shiny jacket and damaged record.

If you play albums there is no way to avoid wear and tear even if you treat them gently and get plastic sleeves to protect them. I used to think CD's would last forever, then it turns out they got their estimates wrong and the materials they use oxidize a lot faster than anyone thought initially. If you want to keep something on CD for a long time you need the Gold reference ones, they are archive quality. (Or even better the ceramic discs available now will almost last forever, but you have to play them with your PC I don't think a stereo component CD player is compatible.)

Yepp, all my "good" vinyls are in plastic sleeves, I have a few that have been given to me over the years and they're kind of ratty, no point in sleeving those.

The compact disc was sold to us on the premise that "your music will last forever!!!" Doh!

One of the things about CDs I used to think was great is the fact that you can skip tracks. Now I think it's like the worst thing ever because so much good music gets skipped over.

Ah, Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs "Ultradisc" Those were hard to find back in the day, if you saw one of your favorite bands on those, you snagged them when you had the opportunity because you'd be unlikely to ever see it again. I have 3 of those, Dark Side, the Wall, and Moody Blues: Long Distance Voyager. One thing I've noticed with the MFGDs is that they sound a lot better but you have to raise the volume some compared to regular CDs, they always seen to lack volume.

The ceramic discs I was unaware of, but I am intrigued.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I noticed them a couple years ago, they are hard to find but my brother bought some after I told him about the new format.

Here's a link to my favorite local shop, Memory Express.

Millenniata 4.7GB 4x DVD+R, M-DISK

MFSL is one of the greatest labels in music history, bar none. Everything they do is high quality.

Speed King

Reaction score
Those M-Discs are pretty cool,...so a 1000 years from now, after a couple of nuclear Armageddons, the only things that will be left will be cockroaches and my Deep Purple collection on M-Disks, gotta love that!

I had some time tonight and went through the whole thread. I wish I could've been a part of the original debate between "In Rock" and "Machine Head" Both albums are outstanding and are must haves for anyone who loves the Mark II DP. One of the things I love about "In Rock" is none of the songs are played by classic rock radio, at least not in Rockford. Our local station plays "Highway Star", "Space Truckin'", and Smoke on the Water" but nothing from "In Rock".

"In Rock" seems so much more raw and stripped down (except Child in Time) than any of the albums that followed it. Looking back retrospectively, it would seem that Deep Purple in 1970, unseated Led Zeppelin as the second heaviest rock band on earth (Zep III, also 1970 is mostly acoustic).

I was happy see so much attention given to "Bloodsucker" from "In Rock", I think it's the second heaviest song on the album and my personal favorite from the disc. Although after all these years, I still have no idea what "Black Breast Chinese Eyes" really means.

Machine Head is much more polished and radio friendly than In Rock. When I play Machine Head I really enjoy the non hits on the album, I love the other three, but I have a weakness for the deeper cuts.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
You don't hear something in a long while then it gets on your play list and you're blown away all over again. I'm talking "Mandrake Root".

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vikas2324thakur

Staff online

Members online