Deep Purple (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Any song in which I have enough time to take a *** break and make a sandwich seems a little too much even for Jimmy. :bonk: But hey, Space Truckin' is my favorite jam off of MH so I'll give it a whirl. :)

Actually, I'll take a 20 minute guitar jam over a drum solo anyday.

Sometimes bands can get carried away but I also firmly believe they "stretch out" on live performances to keep interested. I think it's a testament to musicians patience/generosity to play the same songs 1,000's of times over a long career of touring I know they must get bored at times.

Being a massive fan of classical music...:D...long tracks don't bother me at all.

I like a good drum solo too, so many guitarists get center stage that whenever a drummer or keyboardist or bassist gets to have the spotlight is fine with me. But...my fave drum solo is off "Live!" by April Wine and is only 4+ minutes long.

These days I would find it impossible to dwell for too long on a single artist...the collection is so massive now I have enough trouble just keeping current. So while I understand some folks picking a couple of artists and concentrating almost 100% on them I can't do that myself.;)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I just find the long, drawn out solos a bit much though I agree on your sentiments about the boredom from playing the "hits". I usually won't listen to such a thing unless I'm listening to the album the whole way through to get the full "experience" of it but not when I'm just listening to their stuff at random.

And I was pretty adamant about showing my LZ appreciation when I first joined to sort of establish myself but it got to where after awhile I had come to be at a loss for what else to say and felt like a broken record. Then again with their career spanning just over a decade I realize it's easier to find more things to talk about with artists who have been around 30+ years. Still, there's too much music to listen to not enough time.

Deep Purple Scandinavian Nights Live album - Mandrake Root I think it is, is over 30 minutes long.... :zzz:
:bonk:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
One of those laid back rock ballads that Ritchie was so good at adding colour to.

IMO he had the Midas touch with these songs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Deep Purple Scandinavian Nights Live album - Mandrake Root I think it is, is over 30 minutes long.... :zzz:

That album is such a great album, Wring That Neck is my fave Purple track and live it is a killer, on this album it is over 30 minuets long too, wizzo:bow:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
^^ I need to get that one..wonder if I can find it on vinyl

@ Sox, A great song and one I did not really appreciate when I was very young.
After getting a bit farther along on the road of life ( you know like.. 15 or 16 lol )
I started to realize what great songs Soldier, Gypsy and Holy Man really are.
Richie's playing is stellar but the vocal work is also extraordinary. :grinthumb

I'm glad Deep Purple didn't play in this style on a lot of their albums, but as a one off, I feel Stormbringer is very interesting, and a really good album.

Adds some contrast to their discography.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
That album is such a great album, Wring That Neck is my fave Purple track and live it is a killer, on this album it is over 30 minuets long too, wizzo:bow:

Thats the one, not Mandrake Root. 34 minute of Wring That Neck

Though consulting the source of all knowledge [wikipedia...] Mandrake Root clocks in at a MUCH shorter time of 29 minutes and 40 seconds...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online