Deep Purple (Official Thread)

Bryter Later

Reaction score
Re: Deep Purple

I wish they would give us a decent and full version of the California Jam gig in '74 on CD. To me they were all going for it that night,even if Richie was p....d off with the camera man :heheh:. Bryter.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

The DVD of their California Jam performance is awesome ! You are not wrong
when you say they were spot on that night, my friend . And Blackmore's outburst at the cameraman at the end of the show is just an added plus to the footage lol

Wanted Dead Or Alive

Messenger Of Music
Reaction score

One of my favorite songs from "Perfect Strangers''...

''Wasted Sunsets''...

Blackmore's lead in this one is outstanding...

Blackmore totally owns here, and this is my favourite solo of his. The one after the first chorus.

But IMO Coverdale DP > Gillan DP, I know I'm in minority here, just expressing my opinion...
Of course, since Ritchie went, it's not the same anymore...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^You are right about that Ian Gillan > David Coverdale.:D

I think that Steve Morse has done a fabulous job on lead guitar, but for me MK II will always be my favorite incarnation of the band.

DeepPurpleBannerOne.gif

DeepPurpleBannerTwo.gif

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

^^You are right about that Ian Gillan > David Coverdale.:D

I think that Steve Morse has done a fabulous job on lead guitar, but for me MK II will always be my favorite incarnation of the band.

Yes, me too. Though I've always had a soft sport for the original lineup too. I'd place the original lineup over the one with Coverdale.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Yes, techically Glenn Hughes is the best DP vocalists... Personally I prefer Coverdale over those 2. And don't kill me, but I really like JLT's vocals! :)

I would agree with that at this point in time at least because Ian is not what he used to be and Glenn just keeps belting it out like he is still 25 years old.
Ian is still quite good however. I have seen Purple live twice in the last few years and was surprised at how well Mr. Gillan performed due to constant rumors of Ian having lost his voice completely .

And yes, Steve Morse is a extraordinary good guitarist LG. :grinthumb

@ Harmony ,the original Deep Purple had Rod Evans of Captain Beyond as vocalist. Are you actually saying you like the late 60's Purple over Mark II ?
The reason I ask is that many people think Gillan & Glover era Purple are the
first incarnation of the band.

Wanted Dead Or Alive

Messenger Of Music
Reaction score

Gillan has lost something definitely, although he can still scream it out. He has a great falsetto but he was never a great belter (belter in a way of belting like Bruce Dickinson does, not screaming)...Glenn is better, trust me, he is extraordinary versatile and skilled as a singer...

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I will always prefer Gillan over Hughes no matter what the technicalities
of the vocal ranges. That makes Gillan better IMO.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Staff online

Members online