Deep Purple - Machine Head (1972)

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Re: Deep Purple ~ Machine Head

This is a release that is found in most rock collections. I dig "Space Truckin'" on this set. I also have that 2 disc 25th Anniversary set. A worthy pick-up. I saw this Mark II line-up during their "Perfect Strangers" tour at the Long Beach Arena in 1985. My ears were ringing for a week...

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
Re: Deep Purple ~ Machine Head

Agree with all the comments made.

Machine Head is a milestone in the history of rock music.

The music is still as alive as ever.

It is truly timeless music.

oh yes. So much has been said about this album for almost 40 years now and it is all true. Highway Star is my fave of this.

driftingsun

Reaction score
My all-time fave Purple studio album... no wait, I like In Rock more... or perhaps Burn? Or was it Stormbringer... or Come Taste the Band? Oh hell, they're all epic!

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
This is the Deep Purple album that has (almost) all the hits on it. Great album, but the others are great as well, still, this is the one that gets all the attention. I think my opinion is tainted by the fact that radio has burnt me out on nearly half this album. It is a really great record and deserves the attention it gets, in spite of what I just said.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Machine Head Masterpiece

:bow: bloody hell history milestone of an album of rock its purely piece of total musicianship from the start to the finish wow a masterpiece from the mk2 line up...

Jon

Reaction score
Like most, my faves are In Rock and Machine Head. Machine Head pips it because I love the production. It sounds spectacular.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Superb album! My favourite song is Highway Star. It's got the brilliant intro, great hard rock lyrics with a great hard rock vocal. In particular I absolutely love Jon Lord's organ solos on it (I am a big fan of Lord's playing in general but this is my favourite out of all the solos I've heard by him). It's one of the greatest songs of all classic rock in my opinion.

All of the other songs are great too, if I had to pick any other favourites I would say I am particularly fond of Pictures Of Home and Lazy. I have to say too that I do really like Smoke On The Water. Everybody knows that guitar riff, but there is much more to the song than that - the amusing (and true!) lyrics about the recording, and strong soloing as ever by Blackmore and Lord.

I've heard the 1997 remixes of Highway Star and Smoke On The Water too, both of which I think are excellent - the extended intro to the former and extended organ and guitar solos on the latter both add something extra to the songs and make for an interesting alternative listening experience.

wisertime

Keep on Truckin'
Reaction score
So I saw your post and now I can't wait for Abbey Road to finish so I can play Machine Head. Epic album.

davinci

Reaction score
Great album. At one point this was my 'go to' album for smoke sessions.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online