Dan Fogelberg (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: The Official Dan Fogelberg Thread

Besides Phoenix, I love CAPTURED ANGEL!! I think that's a terrific album and I LOVE the lead off track!!

I wish all the great artists that have passed away were still with us....nothing wrong with watching Back To The Future movies and wanting them to be real. :)

51hnHatwCRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

I agree, ''Phoenix'' is a good album to start with, and also ''Souvenirs''

I highly recommend both albums.

Possibly the most energetic of his material?:gritnhumb

If you're looking for shredding guitars, you'll be disappointed...
:heheh:

But, if you're into 70's Jackson Browne, you should like ''Souvenirs'' and ''Phoenix''

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have Souvenirs, and it is a good album, it's the only Fogelberg in the house though.:grinthumb

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

What would be a good album of his to start with? Possibly the most energetic of his material?:gritnhumb

While both Captured Angel and Souvenirs are important and high-quality works for their own individual reasons, if I had to choose the album I thought "most energetic" I'd probably go with Nether Lands.

But keep in mind, it's all relative. Like GM said, you might be disappointed if you're expecting to really rock out, at least for more than a song or two.

Last edited:

Reaction score

While both Captured Angel and Souvenirs are important and high-quality works for their own individual reasons, if I had to choose the album I thought "most energetic" I'd probably go with Nether Lands.

But keep in mind, it's all relative. Like GM said, you might be disappointed if you're expecting to really rock out, at least for more than a song or two.

I'm not not looking for balls out, AC/DC style rockers here:heheh:
Just something that has some oomph behind it.. For what I think is Fogelberg's style.. I was expecting something Jackson Browne-ish, as far as pace goes after the song I heard:D

I'll check out Nether Lands first:grinthumb

Reaction score

Listened to Nether Lands, once through, and it reminded me more of JD Souther or Firefall than Jackson Browne actually, my first impression wasn't that great, but I'd listen again.. I'll give another album a shot and see if I like it any better:grinthumb

Souvenirs is suiting me a bit better, so far:D

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

If you're looking for actual musical similarities between Browne and Fogelberg, you may be disappointed. IMO they don't really sound alike. Their songs are structured differently, the production is different (even with a full band Browne's production is almost spare compared to Fogelberg's frequent use of walls of sound). I think they tend to get lumped together only because of the imprecision of the labels we apply to musical genres. Yes, they're southern California soft rock (most of the time), but that can mean a lot of different things.

Reaction score

If you're looking for actual musical similarities between Browne and Fogelberg, you may be disappointed. IMO they don't really sound alike. Their songs are structured differently, the production is different (even with a full band Browne's production is almost spare compared to Fogelberg's frequent use of walls of sound). I think they tend to get lumped together only because of the imprecision of the labels we apply to musical genres. Yes, they're southern California soft rock (most of the time), but that can mean a lot of different things.

I found that out for myself, there are a few songs I've heard so far from Fogelberg that do sound very reminiscent of Browne's style.. They certainly go in the opposite direction too, though:heheh:

The wall of sound production was the first thing I noticed too.. On the first track of Nether Lands, the piano sounds better than any piano I've ever heard, not because of the playing, but just the sound they captured...

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

The last to Know

DanFogelberg-344x500.jpg

LyricalLaurel

EΔЯ ЯESPOИSIBŁE, too!
Reaction score

Eeek! Another thread I have to mark with this quick post so I can come back here later! LOVE Fogelberg~~~ great photo in this last post of you Metalpriest!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online