Compilations

Kate

Deadhead
Reaction score
Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but CRF is so delightful...

Currently 6F, but when puppy & I ran earlier this afternoon the start temp was 21F with a casual breeze; 75 min. later when we cleared the trail, it was 17F with a strong W wind that was driving snow showers horizontal. Tomorrow's outing, with a forecast high of 18F, should be delightful!

Still, I was warmed by Morrisey's dulcimer Summer crooning while listening for the 827th time to "Louder Than Bombs"; honestly, I can think of few bands (like The Doors, TYA, Canned Heat, but certainly NOT the Dead by virtue of sluggish later work and plebian late-career originals like Samba, as well as disastrous early covers (i.e., Hey Jude on 3/1?! OUCH!)) who never performed a bad track as did The Smiths.

Even so, the bitter cold drained a 3/4-full ipod charge - that would otherwise last days - in about 60 minutes! Yet, optimism reigns as sourpuss Reiner and the first Klemperer installments are due in the post tomorrow.

Classical collectors amass on the basis of opportunity and, therefore, can accumulate a tremendous catalogue of backlogged listening. I found it both funny and poignantly profound when a poster on a Classical site contended that aficionados are perhaps under the delusion that they are purchasing the TIME to listen to all they collect...in which case, I'd continue buying big boxes until I was in hock for a few hundred years worth of recorded performances!

I'm an almost exclusive patron of the Dead Conductors - not to mention Composers - Society, which, for some reason a while back, caused me to question whether my Classical pursuits were unreasonably restricted by historical tunnel vision. This is by way of segue (note my Seussical rhyme scheme) to discussion of what I've been listening to at work during the past week.

I check in regularly at a couple genre-specific sites, like TalkClassical, so I was able to quickly accrue enough suggestions regarding recent works to fill a life-sized '85 Jerry doll! Yet, after a couple dozen contemporary compositions had me on the brink of sealing both ears with hot wax, I shifted to conductors and quickly discovered David Zinman and, in particular, his recent directorship of Zurich's Tonhalle Orchestra....Holy Smokes!

For audiophiles - which I'm certainly not (I can groove to a decent C+/B- GD Aud any day!) - performances of the Zinman Symphonies & "other Classical works" box yield consistent sonic epiphanies by virtue of the magnificently engineered clarity, balance, and warm tonal space that positively illuminate the vast wealth of disparate, complex sound mined by Z and his orchestral arsenal.

In conjunction with the bright audioscape, Z's energetic approach to compositional execution often leaves me hitting "rewind" (or the digital equivalent thereof) after an unconventional - or outright heretical - passage that precipitates a snap of the head and murmured exclamation along the lines of "What?!" (kind of like listening to Jerry's solos on Loser 5/8 or TMNS 6/7/77).

But, further, it's not just Z and the fine audio engineering, but the very score off of which he and the orchestra work. What?, you say: Isn't Beethoven just Beethoven? Well, not really. And here's where I'm in way over my head. Apparently scholars, conductors, performers, and production companies disagree on the interpretation of the NOTES (kind of like a map's legend) accompanying a given Classical composition; for instance, I've read that LVB's famous 5th Symphony comprises over 300 pages when including all such annotations.

Back to Z and the Zurich Tonhalle: With respect to the box set's prodigious LVB component, Z apparently conducted under guidance of one of the newest - and arguably most recently accurate - interpretations of the great composer's original scores as translated by Norman del Mars. I give you these names for research, should you be so inclined, as the subtext here is absolutely intriguing!

Anyway, as I alluded earlier, the net effect is that even otherwise uninitiated veteran listeners will likely perk up on occasion either in revolt or pleasant surprise at Z's interpretations. Let me conclude this line of discussion by also mentioning that I've found traditional readings of Mahler to be somewhat ponderous, but throughout the 15 CDs committed to his works in the Zinman box, I've discovered a new and potent favourite based on his seemingly HGH-inspired modus operandi behind the podium! (kind of like discovering '77 Dead after insisting that a real devotee would never venture beyond '74)./peace, K

zinman.jpg

Kate

Deadhead
Reaction score
Ice & Snow Redux

According to the title box, there was daunting weather locally the last time I posted, though certainly nothing compared to the snow and, more recently, varnish of ice that's lacquered the 16" pack over the past week.

If patience is a virtue, then I must be the devil's spawn...when GD Productions and Rhino failed to announce a tasty, 50th anniversary, big box release by mid-February, I promptly spent a good chunk of the funds I'd reserved for that very event on a spread of classical releases I've been eying for some time, specifically, the 2013 EMI Klemperer box sets (11 of 12, that is, because "Concertos..." is currently o/o stock, at least on Amazon) .

K1.jpg K4.jpg

K2.jpg K5.jpg

K3.jpg

Amazon.com: klemperer: CDs & Vinyl

Kate

Deadhead
Reaction score
ad nauseum...

K6.jpg K7.jpg

K8.jpg K9.jpg

K10.jpg

Whether behind the podium or onstage with an instrument or mic in hand - and regardless of genre - I seem to prefer flawed leading men (Jerry!, Jim, Jimi, JohnnyR, Mozza, Sandman), perhaps because troubled minds and spirits can be potent catalysts for profound artistic expression.

Anyway, on point, Klemperer was plagued by acute flares of emotional bipolarism that manifested, in part, as positively libertine behavior followed with bouts of intense guilt.

Still, after a fall from grace, OK redeemed his professional reputation during the final chapters with a return to positively magnificent form courtesy of a recording contract with EMI in his late 60s - the prodigious fruits of which are documented in these releases./peace, kate

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Tell me.What is the difference between what we all know as traditional classical and chamber music?

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
When I wanted to expand my knowledge of classical music, I bought this compilation:

"Classical Music For Beginners" 2011

Classical%20Music%20for%20Beginners_zpsxmcvwvld.jpg

It is a really good sampler for someone who thinks they may want to get into classical music... and for $5.99, it's a steal! :tongue:
Tracks range from 8:55 minutes down to 2:13 minutes, so it's good for those with short attention spans. (not counting track 13, which clocks in at 13:42)

1. Carmina Burana: O Fortuna
Carl Orff
2. The Four Seasons, Op. 8, "Spring", RV 269: Allegro
Antonio Vivaldi
3. Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67, "Fate": Allegro con brio
Ludwig van Beethoven
4. A Midsummer Night's Dream, Op. 61: III. Wedding March
Felix Mendelssohn
5. Serenade No. 13 in G Major, K. 525, "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik": Allegro
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
6. Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46: In the Hall of the Mountain King
Edvard Grieg
7. Adagio in G Minor for Strings and Organ, "Albinoni's Adagio"
Remo Giazotto
8. A Clockwork Orange - William Tell Overture
Gioacchino Rossini
9. Toccata and Fugue in D Minor for Organ, BWV 565
Johann Sebastian Bach
10. Bagatelle in A Minor, WoO 59, "Für Elise"
Ludwig van Beethoven
11. The Nutcracker, Op. 71a: XIV. Waltz of the Flowers: Tempo di valse
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
12. Carmen Suite No. 2: Habanera
George Bizet
13. Symphony No. 8 in B Minor, D. 759, "The Unfinished": I. Allegro moderato
Franz Schubert
14. Adagio for Strings, Op. 11a
Samuel Barber
15. Gayane: Sabre Dance
Aram Khachaturian
16. Nocturnes, Op. 9: No. 2 in E-Flat Major
Frédéric Chopin
17. Messiah, HWV 56: Hallelujah Chorus
George Frideric Handel
18. Il Barbiere di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville): Overture
Gioacchino Rossini
19. Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-Sharp Minor, Op. 27:2, "Moonlight Sonata": Adagio sostenuto
Ludwig van Beethoven
20. Lohengrin: Bridal Chorus
Richard Wagner
21. Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major, BWV 1048: Allegro
Johann Sebastian Bach
22. Swan Lake Suite, Op. 20: Scéne
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
23. Suite Bergamasque, L 75: Clair de lune
Claude Debussy
24. Radetzky March, Op. 228
Johann Strauss I
25. Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major, BWV 1068: Air