Classic MTV - Who still has their old VHS tapes?

MicroJow

Reaction score
I digitize it directly into my computer, then encode it to the highest possible quality. Working in post production has it's benefits.

Unfortunately, if the source material is substandard, there really isn't much you can do to help it.

In my experience, most of the standalone DVD recorders that are out there don't give you much better than SP VHS quality.

- J

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Yeah I have to agree Microjow. I have a feeling the recorders were designed purposely to deliver sub par sound. You can't record a 5.1 soundtrack from a movie or tv show, it's downmixed and ruined to a stereo signal and loses so much it's ridiculous. I can see why though, they didn't want us recording really good quality off our cable boxes when you could go out and Buy a proper copy from the studios for a healthy profit for them.

At least that's what I think.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
What I still have...? They had a huge Zeppelin special in the 90's which I taped. A G N' R day is another one launching their Illusion Tour. The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert which is complete unlike the DVD and Laserdisc releases. There were those 30 minute bio spotlights...have a couple about Aerosmith.

Back then, I was heavy into tape machines. Had to be stereo with separate levels, flying erase heads and S-VHS capability.

...oh and ah, I had a thing for Nina Blackwood. :tongue:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Back then, I was heavy into tape machines. Had to be stereo with separate levels, flying erase heads and S-VHS capability.

I was the same, I bought an Electrohome (Made by Mitsubishi) beautiful S-VHS machine, cost me over $1500 back then and it was like a studio, it had everything you could want. I never touched the capabilities of it, when it died I took it in to a shop to be repaired and the ******* who was working on it not only didn't fix what I wanted done he Broke one of the sound level controls. I almost punched him out, then when I left I paid the $50 at the desk and told the people in the store to find a Professional shop and don't bother with this one...boy that still makes me mad to this day. Anyway that VCR is gone to the recycling bins now, sad to let it go.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
^My parents had at one time a nice Mitsubishi player. It was larger than most tape decks I can remember.

MTV used to have these weekly concert airings too... The Firm in London 1984. The ARMS Concert. Tom Petty. Guns N' Roses at The Ritz.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I used to watch "Music Box" which was on after 12 midnight on ITV for a while before cable and all that, was fantastic to have something to watch with music when staying up late:)

MicroJow

Reaction score
Hey, all! Had a thought about finding classic MTV recordings: when MTV first started, VHS wasn't the dominant system. Betamax was.

So, let's alter my request. If anyone has their old BETA tapes with MTV recordings, drop me a line! I should have a Betamax ready to roll shortly, so let's get those tapes converted to DVD!

- MJ

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I used to have a big collection of The Headbangers Ball that I taped on VHS but I've since lost them. Wish I still had them so I could do some VHS to DVD transfers.

frankie86

Reaction score
mtv nostalgic time

So, am I the only one on the planet who still appreciates the product that was MTV back in the early 80s? Maybe it was the hours upon hours I spent playing with Lego or doing my homework with MTV playing in the background that sparks the contentment I feel when I pop an old MTV recording in and hear Men At Work being introduced by J.J. Jackson.

If Viacom ever decided to dedicate a channel to re-playing those old broadcasts, VJs, old commercials, and all (like vh1 did recently with MTV's first hour,) I'd be all over it.

- Joe
hello joe, i am mtv huge fan, and you are no the only one , i am agree with you , it's really hard to find , but i am looking for australian mtv , with a vj richard wilkins. i think this is more harder to find that american mtv. wish me a luck:bonk:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online