Classic MTV - Who still has their old VHS tapes?

MicroJow

Reaction score
So, am I the only one on the planet who still appreciates the product that was MTV back in the early 80s? Maybe it was the hours upon hours I spent playing with Lego or doing my homework with MTV playing in the background that sparks the contentment I feel when I pop an old MTV recording in and hear Men At Work being introduced by J.J. Jackson.

If Viacom ever decided to dedicate a channel to re-playing those old broadcasts, VJs, old commercials, and all (like vh1 did recently with MTV's first hour,) I'd be all over it.

- Joe

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
You know, when MTV first started, there were no 'veejays' and no commercials.

I don't know how long that lasted, but when they saw people were watching, then came the commercials, but without sound. Ironically enough, MTV airs everything but music now.

Not sure when Nina Blackwood, JJ Jackson, Alan Hunter, Martha Quinn, and Mark Goodman showed up, though. (wow, that is frightening that I know all those names without even thinking about it.

I think the first game show was Remote Control. Again, I can't be sure.

Also, I don't know exactly when, but they started having blocks set aside for genres.

Saturday Night at Midnight, Headbangers Ball.

There was 120 Minutes, for the new wave crowd.

One thing I am absolutely sure of is this:

The day 'Yo! MTV Raps' debuted was the day I turned off MTV for good. Seriously.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I'm sure that somewhere in a box in the basement or in the garage, I still have numerous homemade VHS tapes of songs/vids off of MTV, including numerous episodes of Headbanger's Ball.

I still have the Kiss unveiling back in Sept 1983, which now isn't worth anything since you can get that on DVD on one of the Kissology releases, but it was pretty cool to have seen that for the first time

As for JJ Jackson... RIP. the guy was easily my favorite VJ out of those original 5 or 6. Always had a smile on his face and really seemed like a genuinely nice guy when he was on the air.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
oh yeah, I remember the 80's MTV, even all the way back to the very beginning in '81. It was maybe around 1990 when I no longer cared. I recorded tons of videos and interviews of bands from Headbanger's Ball. fun times.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've got a couple boxes of my old favorite VHS tapes, and I just played quite a few of them recently.:D

Can't say anything about MTV or VH1, I never got into either music channel other than seeing a few shows when I was in a bar with friends.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I've got 9 VHS volumes of Headbangers Ball from 87-89/90 and no repeats on the videos either.

:grinthumb

MicroJow

Reaction score
Well, if anyone DOES happen to still have their tapes with MTV recordings on them, do me a huge favor a drop me a line. I'd be willing to convert your tapes to DVD for you!

I'm really surprised at how hard it is to find recordings. I guess the problem is no one who still has the footage thinks anyone else would be interested in seeing it.

I've tried contacting people who have posted footage on YouTube and Facebook, but they have so far been either unresponsive or unwilling to trade without my having something they don't have in exchange. Kinda like trying to get a job when you're younger: no one hires without experience, but you can't get experience without getting hired ;)

But I have faith. If I put enough feelers out there, someday someone somewhere is going to send me a CRATE full of tapes to convert. I hope.

- J

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I bought a DVD recorder a few years ago and transferred some movies/tv shows to disc but I was never impressed with the sound quality. They must have a low downmix bit rate intentionally because on some of them I have to crank the tv up to full volume just to hear the dialogue.:nw:

I'm sure they have some much better equipment/software to do a better job nowadays.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online