Charles Bradley: Modern Day Soul Explosion

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I'm listening to Triple J right now (one of the biggest radio stations in Australia for those that don't know) and they are played Charles cover of "Stay Away" on it. :eek: I honestly am quite shocked but delighted to hear that he is getting airplay somewhere.....even if it's at like 2 in the morning. :heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I LOVE the new album and I dare say it's even better than the original. I got the vibe right off the bat and was feeling it immediately. Every song packs even more groove, punch and Soul.:

Victim Of Love
charles-bradley-victim-of-love-1364225728.jpg

These songs are brilliant:

Let Love Stand a Chance
(The vocals hear are as heartfelt and achingly real in emotion as it gets. Feel this!)

Love Big Blues
(a little Bill Withers and Isaac Hayes infusion)

Confusion
(awesome live version, get up and shout! :D)

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Charlie Soul man

I'm listening to Triple J right now (one of the biggest radio stations in Australia for those that don't know) and they are played Charles cover of "Stay Away" on it. :eek: I honestly am quite shocked but delighted to hear that he is getting airplay somewhere.....even if it's at like 2 in the morning. :heheh:
yes its great to see Charles get some airplay great soul man...

I LOVE the new album and I dare say it's even better than the original. I got the vibe right off the bat and was feeling it immediately. Every song packs even more groove, punch and Soul.:

Victim Of Love
charles-bradley-victim-of-love-1364225728.jpg

These songs are brilliant:

Let Love Stand a Chance
(The vocals hear are as heartfelt and achingly real in emotion as it gets. Feel this!)

Love Big Blues
(a little Bill Withers and Isaac Hayes infusion)

Confusion
(awesome live version, get up and shout! :D)

soot and stars this his second album is cool...have you gotten "Changes" his new album yet...:bow::bow::bow:

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Charles-Bradley1.jpg

Everyone here knows I champion new music. I don't believe in the perception of declining quality for the most part. I've mentioned before though that I feel Soul is the exception. We don't have pure soul or even R&B anymore IMO. It's all been fused with more beats and Hip-Hop guest verse and styles to be more modern and hip sounding. Well, I found a pure modern day soul artist in Charles Bradley like thanks to Cosmic's post about the Nirvana tribute album. I downloaded it tonight and found a wicked awesome version of "Stay Away" by this guy. Awesome because it's an out of left field take on it. Pulling soul music out of Nirvana. Brilliant! They made it their own! :grinthumb

Here's the cover:

Stay Away (Nirvana Cover)

Charles has only been recording since 2002. He has a very James Brown sound for sure. A lot of funk as well as Soul. While the sound is retro it sounds very fresh to me. Here's some more by Charles:

The World (Is Going Up In Flames)

How Long
(I LOVE this one!!! How can you not feel that?)

No Time For Dreaming

Check him out guys! :grinthumb

@Soot and Stars its a great cover song. I`ll say this for the daptone records there artist are imho totally awesome soul musicians...:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online