Charles Bradley: Modern Day Soul Explosion

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Charles-Bradley1.jpg

Everyone here knows I champion new music. I don't believe in the perception of declining quality for the most part. I've mentioned before though that I feel Soul is the exception. We don't have pure soul or even R&B anymore IMO. It's all been fused with more beats and Hip-Hop guest verse and styles to be more modern and hip sounding. Well, I found a pure modern day soul artist in Charles Bradley like thanks to Cosmic's post about the Nirvana tribute album. I downloaded it tonight and found a wicked awesome version of "Stay Away" by this guy. Awesome because it's an out of left field take on it. Pulling soul music out of Nirvana. Brilliant! They made it their own! :grinthumb

Here's the cover:

Stay Away (Nirvana Cover)

Charles has only been recording since 2002. He has a very James Brown sound for sure. A lot of funk as well as Soul. While the sound is retro it sounds very fresh to me. Here's some more by Charles:

The World (Is Going Up In Flames)

How Long
(I LOVE this one!!! How can you not feel that?)

No Time For Dreaming

Check him out guys! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well, I found a pure modern day soul artist in Charles Bradley like thanks to Cosmic's post about the Nirvana tribute album. I downloaded it tonight and found a wicked awesome version of "Stay Away" by this guy. Awesome because it's an out of left field take on it. Pulling soul music out of Nirvana. Brilliant! They made it their own! :grinthumb

Here's the cover:[/B]

Stay Away (Nirvana Cover)

I seriously was listening to this song when I saw this thread and had to go "Well that's funny." :heheh:

I really love his voice. He really is a throw back to 50's and 60's soul and funk singers like Otis Redding and James Brown. :grinthumb

limpy

Penguin Power
Reaction score
I could seriously see myself sitting in front of a fire and having a glass of champagne listening to this guy! I have to say we don't see much R & B in the threads and it was nice to listen to something fresh!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I seriously was listening to this song when I saw this thread and had to go "Well that's funny." :heheh:

I really love his voice. He really is a throw back to 50's and 60's soul and funk singers like Otis Redding and James Brown. :grinthumb

I could seriously see myself sitting in front of a fire and having a glass of champagne listening to this guy! I have to say we don't see much R & B in the threads and it was nice to listen to something fresh!

Glad you guys like this! :grinthumb That's a funny coincidence Cosmic but like I said, you were my lead-in to this guy! Limpy, we do have some older Soul artist buried here you should be introduced too. I'll make that the next music lesson for you! :cheers2

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I just found that this song was voted #1 song of 2011 thus far on AOL.com! It's about the death of his brother! Another great song with plenty of soul and honest emotion!

Heartache and Pain

This live version is as raw and emotional as it gets. It gives me goosebumps!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I just found that this song was voted #1 song of 2011 thus far on AOL.com! It's about the death of his brother! Another great song with plenty of soul and honest emotion!

Heartache and Pain

If I didn't know better I would swear that was from the 50's or 60's. It's so anachronistic sounding these days. :heheh: I love it.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I've just seen this thread. He's great!! :grinthumb

If I didn't know better I would swear that was from the 50's or 60's. It's so anachronistic sounding these days. :heheh: I love it.

Thanks Sunny and I think the reason Cosmic gave was why he's great! He's putting out music today and I could've stuck every element of this thread from the music, the pics and even the vids into the 60's section and no one would be the wiser! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
We have reached a point in music where people as a whole have a (more of less) commonly established opinion of what a "pretty" or "good" sounding voice is and most singers these days try so hard to format their voices to fit into that. Instead with singers of years gone by they just let their voices do what they did naturally and mix that with passion and I think that is Charles Bradley is so great. :grinthumb Him and singers that follow a similar route to discovering their voices are some of the most critically acclaimed of today (Adele, Amy Winehouse, etc).

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online