CDs, vinyl are outselling digital downloads for the first time since 2011

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
washingtonpost.com

LLFDAZYURQ6FTNTAYKJFWBNGCE.jpg

A vinyl record is played outside a record store during the Record Store Day in Paris in April 2015. (Etienne Laurent/EPA)
Digital downloads had a short run as the top-selling format in the music industry. It took until 2011, a decade after the original iPod came out, for their sales surpass those of CDs and vinyl records, and they were overtaken by music streaming services just a few years later.

Now, digital downloads are once again being outsold by CDs and vinyl, according to the Recording Industry Association of America.

The RIAA released its 2017 year-end revenue report on Thursday, showing that revenue from digital downloads plummeted 25 percent to $1.3 billion over the previous year. Revenue from physical products, by contrast, fell 4 percent to $1.5 billion.

Overall, the music industry grew for the second straight year. And with $8.7 billion in total revenue, it’s the healthiest it has been since 2008, according to the report.

Nearly all the growth was the result of the continued surge in paid music subscription services such as Spotify and Apple Music. Those services grew by more than 50 percent to $5.7 billion last year and accounted for nearly two-thirds of the industry’s revenue. Physical media accounted for 17 percent, while digital downloads made up 15 percent.

RIAA Chairman Cary Sherman called the industry’s recovery “fragile” in a Medium post Thursday.

“We‘re delighted by the progress so far, but to put the numbers in context, these two years of growth only return the business to 60 [percent] of its peak size — about where it stood 10 years ago — and that’s ignoring inflation,” Sherman wrote. “And make no mistake, there’s still much work to be done to make this growth sustainable in the long term.”

The outlook for digital downloads is bleak. This is the third year in a row they’ve posted double-digit declines, according to the RIAA. And this is the first time since 2011 they’ve fallen behind physical music media. If the trend continues, they could wind up going the way of the eight-track tape, which was overtaken in the early 1980s by the cheaper and more compact cassette.

The situation isn’t very rosy for physical media, either. CD shipments continued their years-long decline, falling 6 percent to $1.1 billion in 2017, according to the report.

But vinyl sales were up 10 percent to $395 million — a “bright spot among physical formats,” the RIAA noted. It’s a tiny fraction of the industry’s overall sales, but it was enough to persuade Sony last year to start pressing LPs again after a 28-year hiatus.

doswizard

"If you are going through hell, keep going"
Reaction score
I'll never give up my Hard Copies to the Digital Age; they simply hold too much value in my mind. A physical copy can always be reproduced as easily as a digital one is erased.

The laser disc was one of the best and most fundamentally important inventions of the 20th Century!

Where would computing be today without CD-ROM?

Go figure........

All of this technology is converging and isn't it obvious how important it is to preserve the format.

Last edited:

jeffnc

Reaction score
For me, the point is sound quality. That's why compressed formats like MP3 don't cut it for me. I like to listen on high quality gear. On the move I listen to an old school iPod because it has so much storage - to hold lossless music - and top quality earphones. Or, I actually sit and listen to music in front of my stereo (imagine that!) I know I'm in the minority, but there's so little high HD music available for download that I don't even bother. I listen to CDs that I buy and sell used on Amazon, or some of the high quality vinyl recordings which are sometimes better than CD.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
For me, the point is sound quality. That's why compressed formats like MP3 don't cut it for me. I like to listen on high quality gear. On the move I listen to an old school iPod because it has so much storage - to hold lossless music - and top quality earphones. Or, I actually sit and listen to music in front of my stereo (imagine that!) I know I'm in the minority, but there's so little high HD music available for download that I don't even bother. I listen to CDs that I buy and sell used on Amazon, or some of the high quality vinyl recordings which are sometimes better than CD.

You can blame Apple for the VAST majority of that. They still charge per song at a premium rate and that amount many times costs as much or more than purchasing an entire CD where you DO get good quality. Add to it, they give people piss poor quality mp3's. If they offered lossless/flac or at the very MIMIMUM 320, they'd have a leg to stand on. So, your old school ipod may do the job that you want, the company that made the thing is a major problem in the sound quality of purchasable song files.

E-Z

Reaction score
Downloading is for the 'snowflake' generation who want 'disposable musak' at a moments notice then bin it!!.

I personally like cds after being a vinyl guy during the 1970s & 1980s. My first cd that I ever bought was back in 1989 of the Blind Faith album featuring Eric Clapton & Stevie Winwood and I couldn't believe how good it sounded after listening to vinyl records for two decades.

E-Z

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Now if Radio makes a comeback we might actually be getting somewhere.
I remember marking the calendar for that days that big releases came out.
The local radio had been advertising them for a while.
And they'd debut them. I'm not entirely sure how the same hype happens today.

And record stores. I loved record stores. Just going there and leafing through the racks of vinyl. Even if I didn't buy anything.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
And record stores. I loved record stores. Just going there and leafing through the racks of vinyl. Even if I didn't buy anything.
When I was in my teens, I loved sifting through album racks and could do it for hours, leave the store (regardless of buying anything), go back a couple of days later and repeat the process. Album art was cool. Thats about the only thing that I miss about vinyl.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From my experience Itunes are one of the few downloading ones and bandcamp that have high quality downloads unlike others that have a compressed file.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online