Brian Wilson/Psych Period

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
What's your take on Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys' psychedelic period,which many believe to have included "Pet Sounds" but really "Smiley Smile" was the true all out psych effort?Personally,I think the things he was accomplishing in the studio at the time was well AHEAD of its time in terms of musical arrangement and general concept."Smiley Smile" was certainly overlooked by many at the time,a fact proven by a disappointing No 41 peak on the Billboard 200 chart.I think at least most of it is quite interesting........

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I think The Beach Boys had some great songs leading up to "Pet Sounds", though "Pet Sounds" really stands out for me.
Unfortunately I don't understand what the deal is with "Smiley Smile", and I was under the impression it wasn't released in the 60s, because Brian Wilson wasn't happy with it or something, or was it released in the 60s but Brian wasn't happy with it and decided to revise it in more recent times?

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
"Smiley Smile" was a compromise. Brian was having some doubts, as was Capitol Records. The "Heroes and Villains" single wasn't a "Good Vibrations" sized hit. Songs from the original "Smile" sessions were released as filler on albums like "Friends" and "20/20". It's masterpiece, "Surf's Up" was finally released as the title cut for their 1971 album. I like The Beach Boys Psych period. In the 70's Capitol released a compilation album called "Endless Summer" that did very well. A couple years later there was a sequel called "Spirit of America". In the early 80's a third comp came out. It was called "Sunshine Dream". It collected the best of their late 60's psych period. It is quite good.

Last edited:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
"Smiley Smile" was a compromise. Brian was having some doubts, as was Capitol Records. The "Heroes and Villains" single wasn't a "Good Vibrations" sized hit. Songs from the original "Smile" sessions were released as filler on albums like "Friends" and "20/20". It's masterpiece, "Surf's Up" was finally released as the title cut for their 1971 album. I like The Beach Boys Psych period. In the 70's Capitol released a compilation album called "Endless Summer" that did very well. A couple years later there was a sequel called "Spirit of America". In the early 80's a third comp came out. It was called "Sunshine Dream". It collected the best of their late 60's psych period. It is quite good.

I'm a little confused what was going on with "Good Vibrations", I guess the biggest problem with it had to do with it being the most expensive song which lead to production issues, which I guess lead to it not being ready for the "Pet Sounds" album. Was "Good Vibrations" no good for "Smiley Smile" or was there simply not enough material to make the album.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Wilson was rather at odds with recording process rationality at the time due to his LSD use exacerbating his inner childhood demons and a nervous breakdown he once suffered on tour.Idealisims and visions came in and out of his head faster than he could really properly process and present them in an audience accessible manner.As result of his psychological struggles,he became highly unduly obsessed with doing "Vibrations" in extreme exacting fashion,causing the Beach Boys to work on the track for about six months,which is why it wound up on "Smiley Smile" instead of it's intended placement on "Pet Sounds".The follow up to "Pet Sounds" was originally titled simply "Smile" and Wilson ceased production on another of his "symphonies to God" the moment he heard "Sgt. Pepper" as he was out to create the greatest rock album ever made and felt the Beatles had pretty much put out a record of insurmountable greatness.He did finish and release the project in 2004,but I always have the gnawing feeling the project may have been better undertaken had it been finalized back in '66 or '67 while all of his ideas for the records were still much fresher in his mind and also because by the time he finished things up in the 2000's,his voice had lost a certain quality due to age.While Wilson didn't get involved with acid to the extent of Syd Barrett,he did,however,indulge in the psychotropic substance enough to inflict serious damage on his cohesive thought process and this in turn prevented the release of what might have been one of the best albums ever made.He just couldn't keep things together enough mentally.I've heard there are some tapes from the original "Smile" sessions still in existence and though incomplete,might still be quite fascinating to hear.............

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Wilson,as anyone TRUE artist should,felt the need to expand on his love for music by evolving with his life and times.Testament to this was his progressive transformation from surf music Czar into more mind expansive material and in this process,he was willing to use any technical means at his disposal at the time.If you take into consideration all the aspects of recording,from writing to arranging and producing,he Wilson is a strong candidate for the most creative person in the annals of rock.Many have made the argument that as great as the Beatles' work was,including "Sgt. Pepper",they did have significantly more assistance from producer George Martin.And of course as well all knew very well here,the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" was an enormous influence on the soundscapes of "Pepper".It is one of Paul McCartney's favorite records ever.Now that's an accolade if I ever heard one.................

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
^^It's also worthy to point out that "Pet Sounds" was Brian Wilson's Response to an earlier Beatles Album, I cannot remember if it was "Rubber Soul" or "Revolver" of which related to the lyrical content of the songs.
Presumably I'm assuming Albums were transforming from a bunch of singles or covers into a collection of an album which had some singles on it as well as songs made for the album by the time the mid-60s came about.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
The album that influenced "Pet Sounds" was "Rubber Soul".Apparently,this one really blew Brian away and so began his quest to make the greatest album ever made.And yes,certainly in the 60's when artists began to consider albums as legitimate art form.And they are.IF they're done by the right certain artists.1967 was perhaps the single greatest year for rock LP's at least from a critical standpoint.The music started reflecting all the revolutionary changes going on at the time and NOT just the ones occurring within the recording industry,but also the changes in general culture.You had the sexual revolution that started in the late sixties and,of course,major political issues like the March On Washington and the Vietnam War protests.The rising youth use of LSD also came into the fold.People started seriously questioning the establishment.They didn't want to just follow in their parents footsteps,at least not in a sociological manner.This was all reflected in the Dylan albums,which had an enormous impact on the cultural perspectives of the Beatles,John Lennon in particular.The times they were a changin'...............

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online