Boston - Don't Look Back (Rate this album)

How would you rate Don't Look Back on a scale of 10?

• 10: Classic

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 9: Superb

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 8: Excellent

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • 7: Great

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • 6: Good

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • 5: Average

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • 4: Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3: Very poor

• 2: Bad

• 1: Awful

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

runtfan

Reaction score
Re: Don't Look Back

I think "Don't Look Back" is excellent. I think it's every bit as good as the debut but suffers by comparison because it basically is the same album so it comes off as a bit of a retread of the debut. One problem I have with it is that it's too short - it could use another song or two ( but then it probably would have taken another year or two).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

It's been said many times but it's all Tom Scholz's fault, he is a genius, an MIT graduate and usually one of the smartest people in any room he enters, but when it came to making albums he just never knew when to say..."Okay guys great job that's a wrap." He needed one of the legendary producers to take that part of the recording process away from him, then we would have had a few more albums.

I do agree Don't Look Back is too short, and basically an extension of the first record but I still think it's a worthy follow-up.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Ive gone for average....a fair album but didnt have the impact as the excellent debut !

joe

Reaction score

I agree LG. He's anal in studio. Beautiful production on both albums. In a lot cases you don't hear that type of production 30 years later. Brilliant.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I gave it a (7) just for the greatness of the title track.....

Has anyone ever had the chance to compare the original with the digital re-master that was done by Scholz himself? I just wondered if he actually improved the recordings with the remaster.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Neither one is as good as the original vinyl, I have the remaster but not the original CD so I can't compare the two.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I never had the first CD, just the vinyl, so I was very curious what he improved, if anything.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I still have my vinyl and it simply sounds better than the CD version...that's not taking anything away from the remaster, but when I play "The Journey" the rumble of the synth is simply amazing whereas the CD is not nearly as impressive sounding.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

I gave it a 6, "good", almost gave it a great, but anything that was put out after the debut, was doomed!!!

LG, I agree, Don't Look Back is their 2nd best album, too bad they only put out three albums!!! I played their first "8-track" til it was worn out.

It's terrible this band could only put out 3 albums in their 12 years!!

They have actually released 5 studio albums, Boston, Don't Look Back, Third Stage, Walk On, and Corporate America. Corporate America was released in 2002, so in 27 years we got 5 studio albums. About one every 5 1/2 years.:wtf: That's slow. Especially since the first two were only 2 years apart. They are supposedly working on another studio album. Sure. Release date will probably be 2020.:bonk:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiammeee

Staff online

Members online