Books That Rock

bohohippybeatnic

Reaction score
The sequel to my "Movies That Rock" thread. What are you're favorite music related books? Here some of mine. :)

"No One Here Get's Out Alive"( A great Jim Morrison biography.)
"The Doors By The Doors"
"According To The Rolling stones"(I'm in the middle of rereading this one.)
"The Mayor Of MacDougal Street: A Memoir"(A great book where Dave Van Ronk talks about his experiences in the folk scene of the 50's and 60's.)
"Between Each Line Of Pain And Glory: My Life Story"(A great autobiography by Gladys Knight.)
"Genesis: Chapter And Verse"
"Mercy, Mercy, Me: The Art, Loves, And Demons Of Marvin Gaye(A "biocriticism" by Micheal Eric Dyson.)
"My Appetite For Self Destruction: Sex, Drugs, And Guns & Roses"( Steven Adlers autobiography.)

Last edited:

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
I highly recommend Guy Pratt's book My Bass and Other Animals.

icker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Great stories about artists/bands he has worked with including, Madonna, Robert Palmer, Pink Floyd, Jimmy Page, Michael Jackson and others.

bohohippybeatnic

Reaction score
Here's more.

"Black Bird Singing: Poems And Lyrics, 1965-1999" By Paul McCartney
"The Hippest Trip In America: Soul Train And The Evolution Of Culture & Style" By Nelson George
"Scars Of Sweet Paradise: The Life And Times Of Janis Joplin" By Alice Echols(I've only read parts of this, but I like what I've read so far.)
'Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History Of The Hip Hop Generation" By Jeff Chang
"Higher Ground: Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Curtis Mayfield, And The Rise And Fall Of American Soul" By Craig Werner
"Racing In The Streets: The Bruce Springsteen Reader" By Skinner Sawyers and Martin Scorsese(A great collection of articles and essays.)

bohohippybeatnic

Reaction score
Here's another.

"You Can't Always Get What You Want: My Life With The Rolling stones, The Grateful Dead, And Other Wonderful Reprobate... " by Sam Cutler

Fever

Reaction score
Here are the books I have read

Heaven and Hell:My Life In The Eagles-Don Felder
Red-My Uncensored Life in Rock-Sammy Hagar
Juke Box Hero-My Five Decades in Rock 'n' Roll-Lou Gramm
Who I Am-Pete Townshend

Reaction score
I've read a lot of good ones but nothing will ever compare to this one:

books

I've read this book so many times, when I went to LA a few months ago it was the first place I had to visit :)

One of my favourite memories will always be being driving through Wonderland, Laurel Canyon in a convertible with an ice cold beer in the Californian sunshine ...

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Currently reading this -

2w2j5o2.jpg

It's a very open and honest autobiography right from his childhood in Birmingham. I'm currently up to the mid-'70s. It's hilarious in parts. eg - Ozzy came back from The States after a tour in a bit of a mess because of drink and drugs (no change there then :gig) so he booked himself into a mental institution in Stafford for treatment. First question from the doctor - "Do you masturbate Mr Osbourne?". Ozzy - "I'm in here for my f*ckin head, not my cock".

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online