Blues Series#27: Gov't Mule-The Deep End, Volume 1

joe

Reaction score
Fans of the Allman Brothers should be familiar with three original members of Gov't Mule, guitarist Warren Haynes and bassist Allen Woody and former Dicky Betts band drummer Matt Abts. Sadly Allen Woody was found dead in his NYC hotel room in 2000 of an "undetermined cause." The band had doubts about continuing but kept it going bringing on a full time bassist and keyboardist.

The Deep End, Volume 1(2002) was released after the death of Woody and had numerous guest stars appearing on the album with the likes of John Entwistle, Flea, Bootsy Collins, Roger Glover, Jack Bruce, Gregg Allman and a host of others. The result is hard southern blues rock that is greasy and gritty with raucous and rousing jamming. An album that is kept where mom hides the peanut butter. Top shelf.

IMG_0554.jpeg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Just picked up a few Gov't Mule albums last week, Groovy gave me some rec's so I do have that one Joe. Haven't played it yet though...I'll be back.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Great band Joe I've got a couple of their cd's and very much like what I hear so I'll be following this thread to pick up a few more recommendations. :grinthumb

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Someone MUST explain to me why the hell I don't have any Gov't Mule. Seriously, almost every time I play one of their tunes that someone links in, I like it. I guess I just don't know where to start with them.

I really like that first song you posted Sox... Fool's Moon. Good stuff!

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
They did a song called Slackjaw Jezebel .. Lynch .. and it's stuck in my head, the whole album is great but that one tune has really grabbed me.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I asked Groovy about which albums to get, he likes the one Joe posted and the sequel, almost everyone who ever played bass is a guest.

For studio albums, "Dose" seems to be highly thought of.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I honestly don't know if I've ever heard a bad (or unpleasing-to-listen-to) song from them. Some better than others, but nothing has ever been bad. I definitely need to start investing in their catalog

joe

Reaction score
Great band Joe I've got a couple of their cd's and very much like what I hear so I'll be following this thread to pick up a few more recommendations. :grinthumb

Sox you might have more albums than I do. I have thier s/t debut and The Deep End Vol.1&2. Thier live albums are suppossed to be fantasic.

I asked Groovy about which albums to get, he likes the one Joe posted and the sequel, almost everyone who ever played bass is a guest.

For studio albums, "Dose" seems to be highly thought of.

LG, the band did eventually did get a full time bass player after all those guest appearences. Both The Deep End Vol. 1&2 are studio as The Deepest End is live. They're suppossed to be excellent live. Here's thier version of War Pigs:

They also do Sweet Leaf but the video is of very poor sound quality.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Yeah they did finally settle on a replacement, I have 8 of their albums, but haven't listened to them enough to give an opinion yet.

joe

Reaction score
Of the three I have I think The Deep End Vol.1 is the best. Love to get one thier live albums. That's going to have to wait. Other priorities.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online