"Billy Joel needs rehab."- Elton John

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Guys like Billy Joel, I'm sure, are surrounded by yes men... wouldn't doubt family included. No one to toss out some tough love. Good for Elton.

I agree, Terra! Elton has been a friend to Joel for a long time, and sometimes it takes a good friend to open one's eyes!

Elton has his own alcohol demons in his closet, and he knows when it is time to speak up for his friend.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Count me as one of those cold, insensitive, mean-spirited, heartless types who sees addiction as a myth or a crutch, because to me it is mind over matter. Which is me being nice about my opinion on the topic.

The essential problem with this view is that the mind IS matter. Our minds really just boil down to a series of chemical reactions. Sure, if we were talking about walking on hot coals, it is possible for the mind to block out painful sensations, as all pain is in the mind. However, in the case of drug addiction, the problem is that cravings exist purely in the mental realm. In short, "mind over matter" doesn't really amount to much when it is our brain cells themselves that have become dependent on certain substances. Because of all this, our minds can't even function without these substances in major addictions.

I respect your opinion, sir, and I won't judge you for it. But I've had too much experience with people suffering from addiction, and too much exposure to the science involved in addiction, to get behind such views.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
The essential problem with this view is that the mind IS matter. Our minds really just boil down to a series of chemical reactions. Sure, if we were talking about walking on hot coals, it is possible for the mind to block out painful sensations, as all pain is in the mind. However, in the case of drug addiction, the problem is that cravings exist purely in the mental realm. In short, "mind over matter" doesn't really amount to much when it is our brain cells themselves that have become dependent on certain substances. Because of all this, our minds can't even function without these substances in major addictions.

I respect your opinion, sir, and I won't judge you for it. But I've had too much experience with people suffering from addiction, and too much exposure to the science involved in addiction, to get behind such views.

I appreciate the nice, diplomatic response. I also respect your opinion.

For me, addiction is pretty cut and dry. You quit drinking, smoking and popping painkillers. Simple as that.

I'm no addict, junkie or alcoholic but I've done enough in my lifetime that I could have reasonably ended up addicted if I wasn't of strong mind with high self-esteem and self-confidence.

It is about willpower, self-control and again mind over matter. No substance is going to control me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online