That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
classicrockrevisited

ELTON SAYS BILLY JOEL NEEDS REHAB
This News Is Brought To You By VH1’s Dave Basner

Elton John is close friends with Billy Joel, and in the latest issue of Rolling Stone, he says he thinks Billy needs to go to rehab and “do something better” with his life. Elton, who has been to rehab himself, added that he knows Billy will “hate” him for saying it, but he feels Joel needs tough love. The Rocket Man explained he’s had to cancel many tours with the Piano Man because of Billy’s “alcoholism.” Read more at RollingStone.com.

· Billy went to rehab for a month in 2005, and for two weeks in 2002.

· Elton also said, “Billy, you have your demons and you’re not going to get rid of them at rehab light. You’ve got to be serious.”

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
BILLY JOEL RESPONDS TO ELTON JOHN
This News Is Brought To You By VH1’s Dave Basner
Billy Joel is responding to Elton John’s recent claim that the Piano Man needs rehab. In a statement, Billy said, “Elton is just being Elton,” adding that he’s worked with John for such a long time and enjoyed their relationship too much “to let something as random as these comments change [his] affection for him.” Elton, who predicted Billy would “hate” him for saying it, told Rolling Stone magazine that he’s had to scrap tours with Billy due to Joel’s “alcoholism.” Read more at RollingStone.com.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Don't know any of the details of Billy's troubles, but if a friend you have worked with for decades goes public with something like this then that is the act of a true friend indeed. Billy should take a step back and hopefully do the right thing.

I see no reason Elton would do this other than genuine concern for a lifelong friend, and as all of us know anyone with an addiction problem is living in denial.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Agreed with LG. Elton isn't the sort who I'd imagine would do something like this for publicity, nor need to.

I wish Billy all the best with whatever demons he is facing.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I read this a few day's ago on the Earthlink home page.. Elton sure has been all bent out of shape the last few years.. This dosn't surprise me that he blabbed on Billy Joel..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I think the fact that it affected Elton's tour plans triggered his outburst along with his concern for a friend. Although he is a musical legend, Elton has 0 financial management skills, his accountants simply tell him when he is running out of ready cash and voila, a tour is organized shortly thereafter.

Still if he is right, then Billy should take it to heart, I have had family members with addictions issues myself and it is about as serious as it gets.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^I think the fact that it affected Elton's tour plans triggered his outburst along with his concern for a friend. Although he is a musical legend, Elton has 0 financial management skills, his accountants simply tell him when he is running out of ready cash and voila, a tour is organized shortly thereafter.

Still if he is right, then Billy should take it to heart, I have had family members with addictions issues myself and it is about as serious as it gets.

Hell LG.. you would be surprised who shows up on Dr Drew's Celebrity rehab show.. A whole slew of Actors and musicians who are off the deep end from anything related to Alcohol drugs to sex!! Eric Roberts has been on there recently..
It wouldn't shock me if Billy shows up in the next episode because of this..:bonk:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
This is pretty sad...I had no idea it was this bad for Joel. He's one of my favorite songwriter types. I've been saying the past year, that he's been looking bad, and it appeared to me he had a back or leg problem from the way he walked.

I hope he's ok....really...

Terra812

Reaction score
Guys like Billy Joel, I'm sure, are surrounded by yes men... wouldn't doubt family included. No one to toss out some tough love. Good for Elton.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Count me as one of those cold, insensitive, mean-spirited, heartless types who sees addiction as a myth or a crutch, because to me it is mind over matter. Which is me being nice about my opinion on the topic.

With that said, I didn't have the slightest clue that Billy Joel was having these sort of problems. I assumed he was living comfortably and quietly without the same types of problems that musicians/actors in their 20's are grappling with.

So assuming Elton isn't blowing this out of proportion, I wish Billy a speedy recovery (well as "speedy" as these things can be reasonably completed).

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online