Best songs for a classic rock covers band

brian maiden

Reaction score
foxhound - that's a serious list. thanks. we'd have to play all night to get all them out

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
it's not just 1979 - more like the 70s (and late 60s) that was the golden age for rock.

You mean for what is considered "classic rock" by radio programmers. Rock was around long before the late 60s'.

there's a big difference between zep and bon jovi. one is raw and earthy, the other is more... well presented and saccharine. i've got no problem with slippery when wet or the like, but there was a certain time that had a certain vibe that we really like - and it's not the 80s.

That's fine but rock didn't all of a sudden change on Jan. 1, 1980. It's only a date on the calendar.

brian maiden

Reaction score
troggy - i know what you're saying but there's a cetain type of bluesy, earthy, ballsy rock that excites us, and that is the hendrix, zeppelin, purple type stuff, and that's what we play. 1979 is just a date, but it's fun to say we don't do anything after 1979, it gives people an idea of what we're all about, and gives us a sense of focus. it's meant to be fun after all.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Foxhound has delivered a good list and I might as well defer to him.

All I'd suggest as a frequent listener of cover bands is to not do too many "iconic" songs in your set that the average person would believe pales in comparison to the original version.

Point being, if you are going to cover Lynyrd Skynyrd, I'd probably avoid doing Freebird and pick something else. Same thing with Led Zeppelin and Stairway to Heaven. They have other songs you could cover.

As for songs I didn't see Fox mention, I'd suggest Feel Like Makin' Love (Bad Company) or Cat Scratch Fever (Nugent). Both of them are great cuts but they don't have quite the same attachment or reverence with listeners that Stairway or Freebird do, meaning the audience will be less critical about how they sound compared to the originals.

Gosh, I hope this all made sense.

invader

Reaction score
kiss - i want you
van halen - ain't talkin bout love
led zeppelin - the lemon song

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
2 posts in 2 1/2 years. wow.

People lose their freaking minds when the first chords are played from Deep Purple's Smoke On The Water

Middle of the second set, people are feeling the alcohol and getting fired up. Even the people who can't dance are on the floor by now. Everyone's loose and feeling good.

That's when you hit them.

The Isley Brothers - Shout
Chubby Checker - The Twist
Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire
Elton John - Crocodile Rock
KISS - Rock and Roll All Nite
Bay City Rollers - Saturday Night
Leo Sayer - You Make Me Feel Like Dancing

A couple are probably considered oldies, and a couple might be kinda hokey, but if they're on the floor dancing, you gotta keep them on the floor. They don't care what song it is, as long as they can dance to it.

They get thirsty, they buy drinks. They buy drinks, the house is happy, which may translate to a better payday for the band

Cannons Ahoy

The Great Pretender
Reaction score
Highway Star - Deep Purple
My Generation - The Who
Yesterday - The Beatles
Money - Pink Floyd
Working Man - Rush
Runnin' With the Devil - Van Halen

gguerra

Reaction score
Here's a "crowd pleaser" and not to difficult to play