Best Song of 2014?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm going to be spending a LONG time covering the year in albums but I believe I've figured out what my number one song is.

The Augustines-Walkabout
augustines-2-020314-download.jpg

I first heard the live version of this track after looking into them for my thread. I heard a very high energy single "Nothing To Lose But Your Head" and was already impressed. I saw this live performance of one of their tracks "Walkabout" very high upo on their youtube list. I watched it and in the very beginning I felt something very special. It started out with this warm, melodic and tragic piano melody not completely unlike something I'd heard before. Then the singer started in a high pitch not unlike Coldplay. All beautiful elements but what really got me is the pure unadulterated emotion behind it. You could hear it in the way he crooned and see it in every part of his face, his sorrowful eyes, his jowls and the flushing of his face with color. It's called performing but the song here seemed like a true trigger as it builds it seems like the singer can't wait to let his demons out in the most triumphant way he can. That's exactly what the song does as it explodes with a Killers like hook and a U2 typre chorus. Honestly, I heard the live version first so it took me a smidge longer to settle into the studio version. The song itself stands very much on it's own and now that I've explored the lyrics on top of just the sentiment of the song I've gotten a tear in my eye to go with the initial goosebumps and a feeling of triumph by the end. The lyrics are vague enough but it's the first song to connect with what I've gone through this past year with my family and with a year of great albums musically it's the first to connect with me on the deepest level! Here's the studio and live versions:

Augustines-Walkabout (Studio & Live)

" Into the arms of the sea
Where my tired head carried me
I walked out into the breeze
To be quiet with the storms inside

Prayed but that's never worked
Why would it now?
Lifted my arms out and tenderly whispered
“I've lost my way somehow”

Take, take these eyes
And all I was and my disguise
And lay them out, on the beach
'Cause I won't need them now them
To see inside

Take, take this voice
And all it's songs from my insides
And spread them out over the waves
Above the sea, over the cliffs
In melody

So come,
So come on home
Come on home
It's over now
This walkabout
It's been so long
It's been so long
So come home please

Into the arms of the sea
Where my tired head carried me
I walked out to the waves
To breathe quiet with the sea "

So what are yours guys if you have one? :grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Oh wow, Soots, first time hearing this and it's really reeled me in - I feel like I need to listen to this again as soon as it's finished and it's not very often I feel that. Such a moving song!!

As for my pick of 2014, so many to choose from so I will have to have a little ponder...

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Oh wow, Soots, first time hearing this and it's really reeled me in - I feel like I need to listen to this again as soon as it's finished and it's not very often I feel that. Such a moving song!!

As for my pick of 2014, so many to choose from so I will have to have a little ponder...

Glad you like it Tray and I look forward to seeing yours. If you want to drop a couple names that's fine too. :)

If I had a second place it might be this track that starts a perfect album (my #1 album for 2014) off with a bang. It's one of the most unique tracks I've heard! :grinthumb

alt-J-Intro

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Well 2014 came and went, in a heartbeat it seems, so I better post my picks! I'm going with three if that's ok, with no particular order of preference.

Ok first up, an artist I've admired for many years, in his various musical incarnations. This is from his latest solo album and wowed me from first listen.

Jack White - Would You Fight For My Love

Next up the metal legends that are Judas Priest and their summer 2014 release. Quite honestly the whole of the album Redeemer of Souls absolutely blew me away and I could quite easily post a number of tracks just from this one album. A return to absolute belting form, with Halford's stunning vocals seemingly never waning!

Halls of Valhalla

Last of my favourite tracks from 2014 (but certainly not least), is from a band that are so criminally underrated it makes me want to weep. I love just about everything these guys have put out and whilst their release last year - Into The Maelstrom - isn't my favourite album by them it is still one I enjoy immensely. Here's the catchy little gem that is
Alien Frequency

Lady Stardust

Reaction score
Cope by Manchester Orchestra. I just love the return to simple and heavy with this band (I still love their previous stuff). The gentle quality of this guys voice is surprising and there is something about it with the loud music that sounds just about right to me. I got to see them at the Boston House of Blues for my birthday this year, loud, LOUD show!

I want to watch it all fall until it's dark,
you both look exactly the same at night
I'd arrange the bed like crosses, watched them fall into the floor
Made me stop and forget what we were fighting for
It's like everything that I ever have imagined's coming true today

There is a cost, my friends
Of living out some other dream to find the consequence
It comes and goes in seasons around here, I thought again
There's nothing left around to yield this sorry ignorance
If I do echo I hope you never see
There is no one there that's waiting after me
And I hope if there is one thing I let go it is the way that we cope

Now I hope if there is one thing that we know
From the way that you and I will wander on
And we won't become a lifeless lope that wanders round and hopes for sorrow

And I know!
I know!
I know! Know!
I know!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Finally had a go 'round with all those tracks! I think Manchestra Orchestra hit my musical zone the closest. I have "Mean Everything To Nothing" and I liked the album quite well. The lyrics to Cope are good and the songs a slow burner that gets better the longer the song goes on. :) Bigelf gave me a big kick in the ass as well. It just had a mix of old and new sounds! There's Sabbath and Zep in it for sure but it feels fresh! Good stuff! :grinthumb

tones of home

follow the green smoke
Reaction score
My favorite song from 2014 is:

OLD_97S_MOST_MESSED_UP_cover_500_rgb1-214x214.jpg

It's the best song about being in a rock n' roll band since AC/DC's It's A Long Way To The Top If You Want To Rock And Roll.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusanStone

Members online

No members online now.