best punk rock song ever

E-Z

Reaction score
A second wave Scottish punk rock band with loads of energy that I tried listening to was THE EXPLOITED. The clue is in the aforementioned statement TRIED.

A number of short sharp "songs" with shouted lyrics and thrashing guitars either about British army life or living in Margaret Thatcher's Britain (she was the British Prime Minster 1979-1990) during the 1980s and her Conservative run government with loads of anti lyrical sentiments directed towards Mrs.T and the British establishment which is ok but it all gets a bit 'samey' after about half 4 or 5 songs in to a 25 track album!!.

This band probably sounded great live on the night especially when under the influence of drink and drugs but to listen to a cd of their "music" cold isn't the same experience. The band had a small hardcore following in the UK during the 1980s of second generation punks and skins (skinheads).

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Indeed E-Z..punk became New Wave..and when those edges were rounded off into the New Romantics..die hard punk suddenly became Oi! music...listen to early Menace and the Angelic Upstarts etc..even early Sham 69..it was very refreshing...rubbing shoulders with the 2nd mod wave came The Cockney Rejects and that shouting skinhead malarkey..not my brew at all. I went to see The Exploited around 1980?...very good in fairness..the jockwave of scotsmusic brought some good sounds:
The Skids.
The Bollock Brothers.
The Rezillos.

Reactions: E-Z

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
This is Albert Tatlock a fictional character from the 1960's and 1970's Coronation St.TV show:
200px-Albert-Tatlock.jpg
A reason unknown to me this song was always played last...after much shouting at a Skids gig:
TV Stars.

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah I am old enough to remember Albert Tatlock a old WW1 solider who frequented The Rovers Return pub in Coronation street and who died in real life back in the 1980s.

Albert lived in the house right next door to the pub and the joke was if anyone went into the pub toilet (the restroom for our US cousins) you would walk straight into Albert's living room!!.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
These started in mid '76...and the very able bassist Steve Severin dovetailed nicely in with John McKay on lead, the band basically met at a Roxy Music gig and then forged a distinctive sound.. headed by a hot singer (on a Gaye Advert scale) ... the new wave had arrived - and this like many others faired well in the mainstream.
Influenced by their local takeaway getting abused by skinheads... it works.
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Hong Kong Garden.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Lightning Records released some very good material.. like Fast Records also.
Blitzkrieg Bop were the antithesis of punk... raw, amateur, scrabbling for release and then disappearing into a puff of new wave smoke!

Blitzkrieg Bop - Let's Go.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online